Rear mudguard bracket

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
RichardT

Rear mudguard bracket

Post by RichardT »

I have inherited an array of bits from my late father, that put together should be a unmolested 1958 AJS 350 16MS. It has been in bits for over 30+ years in a shed/ boxes. There is one slight hitch which is I can't identify all the bits! I have various books, parts lists, manuals and I have looked at many photos however, there is still one thing I cannot find, the bracket for the rear mudguard. According to the parts list it is part number 022250. Any chance someone can take a picture of what one looks like and how it fits onto the bike please.

Thanks
dave16mct

Re: Rear mudguard bracket

Post by dave16mct »

If you look at the bottom of the mudguard at the front. The frame in front has a lug which a stud passes through. Brackets (2) 022250 fit on each end. It's a strip of steel with 2 holes, bent to fit the mudguard, then bolted to the stud. You can make them to fit your bike from a strip of 3/4 x 1/8" a few inches long. (Or you could get some from Steve Surby at AMC Classic Spares.) I don't think our spares service sells them.
Dave
RichardT

Post by RichardT »

I think I found them.... bent at about 3/4" from the end and straight for about 2" afterwards with more of a oval on the longer end? Sound about right?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Here's a photo of mine before restoration - front lower end of the rear mudguard:
Mudguard Bracket.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Come on encourage him to join the club before you giveaway all the trade secrets.
Roy
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Roy, when he asks about oil, we can keep that a secret. Then he will have to join!
RichardT

Post by RichardT »

Oil... yes that is not an easy thing. I just got some classic SAE 50 delivered for the engine and gear box and stuck with some SAE 30 fork oil (will see how that goes). I was upset to read that the Herts section shut as I am split between two areas, Herts and Cambs. I will try and pop along to a section at some point as I joined the club about a month or two ago. I have been really impressed by the pictures and help so far! Hoping to get it back on the road by next year.... The more I do the more parts I find that are missing.... The electrics I think are going to be the fun part, since it was part converted to 12V using triumph wiring harness, so the standard wiring diagrams are out the window! If I find out what triumph it was perhaps someone might be able to guide me in the right direction!
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Put the wiring back to standard. then everybody can help fix your problems. Standard wiring harness from 'Catmando' the wire man is a good investment. Loads of headaches instantly disappear (just a few remain!)
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

RichardT wrote:Oil... yes that is not an easy thing. I just got some classic SAE 50 delivered for the engine and gear box and stuck with some SAE 30 fork oil (will see how that goes). I was upset to read that the Herts section shut as I am split between two areas, Herts and Cambs. I will try and pop along to a section at some point as I joined the club about a month or two ago. I have been really impressed by the pictures and help so far! Hoping to get it back on the road by next year.... The more I do the more parts I find that are missing.... The electrics I think are going to be the fun part, since it was part converted to 12V using triumph wiring harness, so the standard wiring diagrams are out the window! If I find out what triumph it was perhaps someone might be able to guide me in the right direction!
Good grief. Why muck about with the standard wiring? Have a look at the recommendations section for rated suppliers of many parts and services. Also why bother with 12V? For reliable electrics and bright lights, stay 6V, overhaul the dynamo, Vreg solid state reg mounted inside the original reg case, LED lighting front and rear, Gel battery inside a repro rubber case. Job done. Simples.

PS, Bill Mead does a lovely loom at very sensible price. Very nice helpful bloke.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

If it's a 58 G3LS it will have an alternator, so I would always go to 12 volts with a simple wiring harness from catmado, a reg'rec, etc.