Steering Head assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: Steering Head assembly

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Search for a 'structural adhesive' suitable for bonding metal to metal - 3M and Henkel Loctite produce them. Pot life will be one to two hours with full bond strength after around 24.

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Would bearing fit not be a more suitable alternative? Heat would be required to release.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Bearing fit will work if the gap is small, less than 0.5mm - if this is the case I'd use Loctite 660. If the gap exceeds 0.5mm I'd use a structural adhesive like Hysol.

Regards Mick
leobailey

Post by leobailey »

I have purchase some Permabond Structural Epoxy Adhesive. Now all I have to do is strip everything down (again) stick on the Permabond, then reassemble, adjust, and walk away for a couple of days.

Well everyone tells me that's the theory, but the fact I know will be a bit more fraught than that.

All those 3/16” ball bearings, epoxy and grease etc something is bound to go wrong.

I have never really come up with an easy way to assemble that lot, do it with just the bare fork stanchions fitted or with the mudguard and front wheel in place.

Leo
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I find it easier to fit just the top and bottom yokes and nip up the top nut so it all stays together. Then fit the remainder including the wheel leaving the bottom yoke pinch bolts and the wheel spindle clamps loose. Then get the head bearing adjustment right, pump the forks up and down a few times and then tighten the pinch bolts and the front wheel spindle nut and clamps.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd just fit the top and bottom yokes and adjust - wait until the adhesive has fully cured before assembling the remainder.

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Put knobblies on like mine. You'll have more to worry about that than slightly veering.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Leo,
I had same problem with my Model 16 and it was the handlebars slightly off shape, the bike had been dropped and after I changed the bars all went straight again.
Just a long shot if you had a spare handlebar it's worth trying.
Mike
leobailey

Post by leobailey »

In the end I went for Araldite, the one with 90 min working time and full strength in 14 hours.

I decided to only install the top and bottom yokes, nip everything up to get the correct adjustment then slide in the fork stanchions and recheck the adjustment. Then walk away for 8 hours.

I smeared the epoxy into the frame cups and over the backs of the loose bearing cups. I tried to keep Araldite out of the places it shouldn't be by using grease in the bearing tracks and over the balls.
About 9 hours later I stripped it all down again to check, and although the grease had done most of its job, there was still some epoxy in the balls. I trimmed off any excess epoxy and using a fresh set of balls (all 58) reassembled.

Fingers crossed it should all be fine; it certainly feels smooth with no play.

Back on the road in a couple of days to try it out, Oh and the new AMAL concentric I bought should also improve the riding experience. :beer:

Leo
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Leo,

does this mean you mght actually ride it to our meeting tonight?? :D

Cheers Dave