MATCHLESS G3LS 1955

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

Re: MATCHLESS G3LS 1955

Post by Pharisee »

I too started a G3/LS project early last year. In my case a 1954. There are also a lot of parts that are unique to that year but I've found that some parts from other years can be utilised. I started with a few boxes of bits that had been stored in various garages for 3 decades but I'm now just about at the end of the build and I'm happy with what I've got. I have a dating certificate showing that the frame and crankcase are the original '54 items from the same bike but as for the rest of it... It's a mixture of years. The cylinder head is from a later model that uses the shorter pushrod tubes. The cams, inner and outer timing covers and ignition points come from a '60 M18. The original magneto was U/S and I had the later parts in the garage. It has updated electrics and I've fitted indicators, so it's nowhere near being 'original' but in reality, it ceased to be original the first time a previous owner changed the spark plug!! You're absolutely right about the cost, however. I will never in my lifetime recover what the bike has cost me but it was never about selling it on for a profit. I bought the bits with the intention of bringing another bike back to life and to give me something to do in my retirement. I'd restored a couple of Triumphs previously and they were fairly straight forward. The G3 was anything but... To quote Vinny Jones, "It's been emotional !!" and expensive but I've enjoyed almost every minute of it. Don't give up if there's any chance of you completing your project.
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Now you have postponed your project, 'sods law' dictates that all the remaining parts will make themselves available at an affordable price
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

alanengineer wrote:Now you have postponed your project, 'sods law' dictates that all the remaining parts will make themselves available at an affordable price
The body of the victim is not cold yet, but we are already rushing! Nothing is for sale ... only my sorrow
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

You have missed my point Rudlan again. I was suggesting that now you are not looking for parts, they will now become available to you