A dating question...

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Pharisee

A dating question...

Post by Pharisee »

I happened to be in the right place at the right time over the week-end and was having a sociable pint with a elderly gent of the folk singing persuasion. The talk came around to motorbikes and he told me that I needed a G3. I told him I already had a Model 18 and a couple of Triumphs but he insisted that I needed a G3 because he had to get rid of one... well actually it was boxes of bits that contained at least one complete bike, probably two, plus a complete spare 500cc engine and gearbox that he'd acquired along the way. They have been dry stored in his loft for the last twenty something years. His wife is insisting that he gets shot of them as she wants the space for other stuff. As he's now getting on for eighty years old, he thinks that he's now unlikely to start the originally planned restoration, let alone finish it... So did I want it?

Hmmm.... tough question!

Anyway... there's no registration documents. Will I be able get a dating certificate or whatever I need to get an Age Related registration number if all I have is a frame number and an engine number that may (or may not) have originally been together in the same bike?

Cheers
John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
SPRIDDLER

Re: A dating question...

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Everything you need to know is already on the club homepage .....

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

and you don't even have to wear plus fours or wave a hanky.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Everything you need to know is already on the club homepage .....

http://www.jampot.com/Dating.asp

and you don't even have to wear plus fours or wave a hanky.

Oh... really?... How disappointing :(

Seriously... thanks for the link. I knew there would be the information I needed somewhere but I couldn't find a link to it from the Jampot home page.

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Also on the inside front cover of the Jampot magazine 😄
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

'We know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know, but if one looks through the Jampot Forums, Tech articles, or Christian's Archive the answer to almost every AMC question is there'.
(Almost) Donald Rumsfeldt. Feb 12th 2002.
Pharisee wrote: .......dry stored in his loft for the last twenty something years. His wife is insisting that he gets shot of them as she wants the space for other stuff. As he's now getting on for eighty years old...........
I guess he'd be suspicious if she started digging up the patio ...........

;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SteveAd

Post by SteveAd »

Pharisee wrote:So did I want it?

Hmmm.... tough question!
Of course if you decide all of that is too difficult, or simply not for you.....there are others who might relish the challenge! ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Pharisee wrote:I happened to be in the right place at the right time over the week-end and was having a sociable pint with a elderly gent of the folk singing persuasion. The talk came around to motorbikes and he told me that I needed a G3. I told him I already had a Model 18 and a couple of Triumphs but he insisted that I needed a G3 because he had to get rid of one... well actually it was boxes of bits that contained at least one complete bike, probably two, plus a complete spare 500cc engine and gearbox that he'd acquired along the way. They have been dry stored in his loft for the last twenty something years. His wife is insisting that he gets shot of them as she wants the space for other stuff. As he's now getting on for eighty years old, he thinks that he's now unlikely to start the originally planned restoration, let alone finish it... So did I want it?

Hmmm.... tough question!

Anyway... there's no registration documents. Will I be able get a dating certificate or whatever I need to get an Age Related registration number if all I have is a frame number and an engine number that may (or may not) have originally been together in the same bike?

Cheers
John
eem good job he didn't want to keep the bike, thinking it easier to get rid of the wife who has a dating certificate.