Stand / jack?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
MikeAshfield

Stand / jack?

Post by MikeAshfield »

Can anyone recommend a jack or stand which works well with the G3? Preferably a very cheap one, not one of those £200/£300 jobs.
I am getting old enough to prefer not to lie stretched out on concrete when working on the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rob Harknett

Re: Stand / jack?

Post by Rob Harknett »

I use an old hospital bed. Cost £50 plus about £20 to convert and paint it. I just bolted on a couple of pieces 4 x 2" about 18" apart and boarded out the middle. Fitted tie down rings for safety. Then just cut off the excess bed frame each side. So you see only the wooden top on the bed chassis. That still leaves the pull out tray, used for blankets when remaking the bed. A panel placed on this gives additional parts and tools work top. I use my trailer loading ramp, to get bikes on an off. It can be wheeled about the garage. So it can be pulled out of a corner when required. That was great, until my garage started to fill. So would need a large garage. As you may know the old hospital beds had pump up hydraulics. So no electric supply needed. A second pedal will tip the bed sideways. When you become bed ridden and need a hospital bed so the carer can tend to you. Just move out to the garage with your bikes.
MikeAshfield

Post by MikeAshfield »

Brilliant! Now where can I find a hospital bed I wonder... ;-)

uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Most care homes or day centres use them. Go and speak to the lovely managers (I am one of them!) and they may have one they want to get rid of. They do age and have to be got rid of. You even have to pay people to dispose of them. I have a perfectly useable, and worth thousands, mobile hoist that has been condemned for red tape reasons but is still perfectly ok that I have to get rid of. So I have offered it to a mechanic as it's basically an expensive engine hoist (and electric too). Oh and my bike bench is the same as Robs. No idea where I got it from ......
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

MikeAshfield wrote:Brilliant! Now where can I find a hospital bed I wonder... ;-)

They must auction old hospital beds off. A member of a local club I belong to had a barn full.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

When my old Mum died she had quite a few " aids " One item was a brand new unused wheel chair. Most small items they did not want to collect. Just the large items. It took ages to find out who was to collect them, I kept getting passed from one person to an other, going round in circles. Cost me a months rent and rates on the house. Annoying also, because I knew other people in my village wanted the disability aids.
If there was a bed I could had kept it, I do not think I would had ever been asked for it back.
MikeAshfield

Post by MikeAshfield »

Thanks for the ideas!

g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I have a seaely bike lift , and full bike lift
the sealey one is so good and compact . highly recommended

https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/sealey-mot ... 0wodRW8IIA
Bogwheel

Post by Bogwheel »

Dig a pit.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

crackon wrote:Dig a pit.
Years ago at lot of small garages had a pit. Boarded over when not in use. Less costly than a ramp and space saving. Also , quite safe. Apart from falling in the hole.