Stand / jack?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Mick D

Re: Stand / jack?

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Is a pit really a serious option? after tanking and lining wouldn't a £300 lift be better, (and cheaper)?

How do you work on a bike from a pit? - supported on three boards, (wheels and stand), and then movement limited by the pit dimension.

I do like the hospital bed solution - shame I bought a lift about six months ago.

Not sure how secure the Sealey small lift referenced above would be for maintenance - looks like a bit of a balancing act to me.

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stand up in the pit with the bike parked beside it. Instead of the bike above ground level, you are standing below ground level. You would only be able to work on one side with a pit. Unless you had a wide pit, With a bike trough down the centre.
The hospital beds do take up floor space. A single bed must measure something like 8' x 4' Yes 8 x 4' as our bikes are imperial . If you had a big enough garage for a bike trailer, that could also act as a bike lift. Sit down on a board and work on the bike.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Not really what the OP was after - but at around £300 the best solution in my opinion:
Lift.png
Good small footprint when the rear ramp is removed and vertical extension / retraction. Stores upright against the wall.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A mate of mine went to his garage one morning, he found a stand like this had fallen over with his bike on it. I believe it was of Oriental make. Very wobbly due to holes being much larger than bolt diameter. He altered all the fittings so bolts were tighter in the holes, to improve its stability.
MikeAshfield

Stand / jack?

Post by MikeAshfield »

Great ideas there. Looks like I will have to spend money, or move to a house which already has a pit in the garage! The £300 bike lift makes most sense (perhaps with new bolts) but the Sealey bike lift is probably the way for me to go - hope it fits a 1959 G3..... decisions, decisions......
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Here's my G3 on my Sealey lift:
Stand.png
It has jack down feet which makes it rock steady - I've had no need to replace any fasteners. It also has tie downs to enable the bike to be strapped to the stand. The piece of wood under the front wheel is there to eliminate the rock from the centre stand.

I can't see how the smaller 'quad' stand would be practical - too much of a balancing act in my opinion.

Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rob Harknett wrote:Stand up in the pit with the bike parked beside it. ........
If you're out on the road in Hampshire just put it between two deep potholes........

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

We carry them with us now, you never know when a hole in your pocket can be pressed into service for road side repairs.
MikeAshfield

Post by MikeAshfield »

~~~chuckles~~~~

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk