g3l

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
woodside

g3l

Post by woodside »

First off hello...
I will add a Link to pictures In a minute. .
I bought this with another yamaha trials bike...which was really what I was after but after a closer look although it is very scabby alot of it is still there...it was last on the road in 1980...and looks to have been stored vert badly since
So curiosity got the better of me and I gave it a kick over ..it has plenty of compression ....so I thought why not ..
I snapped the plug clean off....but that turned out a bit of a blessing as I ended up taking the head of to helicoil it...and once of I could have a good gander at it and free off all the stuck bits..
The mag was duff so that is being reworked as we speak..
But last night I thought I would drain out and flush the oil..
I got about a sump full out..The tank was empty ..but filter side was full
I put abit of diesel in oil tank just to see if it would flush through and when I went to pop of the oil feed / return from the engine the top one...return I think....literally popped of after half a turn. ..the threads are all stripped ...
Because of the lack of oil in the sump....because the lower rhs of the bash plate was very oily....would the oil eventually drain out the top hole where the return pipe shouldve been tight..leaving no oil in the tank and just a sump full?
I know it's got to be re threaded somehow but for now I will proceed with a.......bodge to see if i can get the old girl spinning again ...
Oh yes I know it's not a trials one and the engine is 53 g3l
woodside

Re: g3l

Post by woodside »

Pictures in the Link
Last edited by woodside on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

just looked on your link, you have a very good project there. With some genuine trials bits on it.
I would suggest join the club as you will need some assistance and there are some very helpful people with experience of thses trials bikes.
Plus as a guest you only get a limited time ont forum.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
woodside

Post by woodside »

Yup membership will happen that's for sure..
The pics were taken after a rain shower and it actually makes the bible look cleaner than it is..
They were stored for at least 10 years in a damp concrete garage..
Everything is there. .well except the seat...so its not been robbed..and hopefully I can just recondition / repair what I have
I just sent of a v62 as the log book is lost so fingers crossed i may get that back but I'm not overly hopefully as the tax disc is so faded it is pretty much blank...
While I'm on here has anyone got xxxxxxx (moderated by the advertising editor see below please)
Thanks again
Also what parts are trail parts...if you have a minute and what parts are correct..I think I will just keep as is for now though
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

woodside wrote: I just sent of a v62 as the log book is lost ...........the tax disc is so faded it is pretty much blank...
I don't wish to be pessimistic but as I understand it the procedure for reclaiming old registrations has been tightened up. Old tax discs are no longer sufficient as you need to be able to prove a connection between the frame number and the registration number being reclaimed. The old log book (and possibly an original Bill of Sale) are the only documents likely to show both numbers. Unfortunately County Records (if they still exist) may show the original registration number but rarely, if ever, the frame number.
Have you checked to see if the original reg'n is on the DVLA computer?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Woodside and welcome. If you need any parts for this bike please do not advertise for them on the open forum. For full members adverts are free using the adverts section, and there is also a part of the forum on which advertising is allowed but it is only accessible for paid up club members. If you want to advertise before you join there is a small charge.
Regards Clive advertising editor.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Hi Woodside,
Having looked at the pictures it is obviously a G3 that has been made into a home brew trials bike. Nothing wrong with that, there are dozens if not hundreds of them modified by their owners to provide low cost weekend fun. The problem that you now have, is that this bike will most likely become a money pit to restore it into some sort of decent trim and it will still be a cobbled up bike. Virtually impossible to put back into road trim at anything like sensible cost as so many hard to find parts are missing and not accepted by most as a comp machine as it is basically a stripped down road bike. I'm not saying don't do something with the bike, but do get a realistic idea of the cost of restoration and the value of the finished bike before jumping in with both feet. It may be worth having a word with one of the dealers in used parts to get a clear indication of the best course of action. Steve at AMC Classic Motorcycles may be a good starting point, he could give an indication of parts costs and availability, also the bikes value in its current trim or completely restored.

Best of luck.
woodside

Post by woodside »

I totally agree with it not being a viable.financial project
But my idea is as it pretty much owes me nothing is to just get it to run...whether that is well or not..it should do as carb is good compression good/ok..and a new mag should sort ignition. .
I have sent of a v62 but like above I am not very confident..but you never know..
Cosmetically can wait.. I kinda like the used look and maybe I will get everything in as near to 100% functional and mechanically sound as possible...there are not enough survivors out there and perhaps this can be left as a rustoration
Either way I will not be flinging money at it and chasing a concourse restoration
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

woodside wrote:I totally agree with it not being a viable.financial project
But my idea is as it pretty much owes me nothing is to just get it to run...whether that is well or not..it should do as carb is good compression good/ok..and a new mag should sort ignition. .
I have sent of a v62 but like above I am not very confident..but you never know..
Cosmetically can wait.. I kinda like the used look and maybe I will get everything in as near to 100% functional and mechanically sound as possible...there are not enough survivors out there and perhaps this can be left as a rustoration
Either way I will not be flinging money at it and chasing a concourse restoration
Hmm, sounds like a plan. See if it runs with minimum outlay. If yes, give it a good wipe down with some WD40, oil the chain, screw a saddle on it and either ride it and have some fun or flog it on an auction site for a medium sized fortune. Yep, sounds like a plan to me. Link is to a seat on ebay. Be sure to post a picture of the bike after a clean up. Do not, repeat, do not get tempted to fall into the money pit unless you really want to commit to owning an older type of bike. Good luck mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Large-L ... Sw0e9Uu2pQ
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

the ebay link is for the wrong saddle. Its the small one(and thats big) is more suitable or get a more trials looking one from somewhere. Best of luck with it