Clutch rebuild - AMC M16 1959

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Grawding

Clutch rebuild - AMC M16 1959

Post by Grawding »

I've had an issue with my bikes' clutch and it was correctly identified as sticking plates so strip the clutch and clean off the gunk, oil etc. All the friction plates look good but I have question relating to the steel plates, firstly they have minor pitting front and back but are smooth and secondly there is a lip on the tabs where contact with the clutch basket is made.

(I would add that prior to the sticking plates due topping up the chain case with too much and too heavy oil the clutch although slightly heavy worked well with no slip or snatch, my excuse is this my first British bike and I'm young and foolish 52 year old :headbang: )

Is the pitting an issue and am I correct in thinking this burring needs filing off before reassembly?

Also the cups have a slight wear ridge on them are these best replaced or smoothed off?

Apologies if these are stupid obvious questions to answer but we who never knew the joys of first time ownership of British bike and suffered the relentless reliability of modern Japanese machinery need all the help we can get!

Regards, Glenn
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
Mick D

Re: Clutch rebuild - AMC M16 1959

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I wouldn't be too bothered about the slight burrs found on the plate tangs, they actually increase the surface area which is not a bad thing, there should be no corresponding damage on the basket / hub though.

I'd smooth off any roughness on the cups as this could affect the smooth operation of the clutch.

Regards Mick
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Thanks Mick for the prompt response,

The basket is good no burring and smooth along all the edges. The clutch centre shows some visual marking but is smooth without any noticible ridges. I'll try and clean up the cups or see if the club has any new ones but as you mention this could effect the smoothness the clutch.

Regards,

Glenn
Albert Einstein.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Grawding wrote: All the friction plates look good but I have question relating to the steel plates, firstly they have minor pitting front and back but are smooth
The nice shiny new plain plates for my clutch came manufactured with lots of tiny what could be called pits on both sides so I wouldn't worry too much about yours as long as they're not sticking out and scratching the friction plates.
and secondly there is a lip on the tabs where contact with the clutch basket is made.
If I've understood correctly what you're referring to, these can be formed by over enthusiastic dumping of the clutch but more likely, a problem, such as repeated misfiring, that causes a judder in the clutch, so you get a clunk each time. This can have the effect of the tabs getting narrower as the metal burrs over. In time this gets worse because there is more space to rattle in and so the clunk gets clunkier. Out of interest, is it worse on one side of each tab where it slots into the basket than the other?
am I correct in thinking this burring needs filing off before reassembly?
I'd file off any that could either damage any part they touch (including cutting your finger during future maintenance) or prevent them sliding in the basket when they should but I'll bow to any superior knowledge on that one. After all, what do I know, she who attempted to completely destroy a clutch and almost succeeded. :oops:
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Hi Janet,

No the burring is even on both sides but that's not to say that the plates haven't been reversed in the past to give this even effect. I know what you mean that this burring means there is more slack between the plates and the basket. Prior to the heavy oil and over filling issue the clutch seems to be good and coped with the massive power delivery :lol: so I won't worry to much.

Will we be seeing el' president at our East Yorks meeting? You are more than welcome.

Regards,

Glenn
Albert Einstein.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Grawding wrote:Will we be seeing el' president at our East Yorks meeting? You are more than welcome.
I've booked myself in for the November meeting. If you want to anonymously pre-warn me about all the juicy gossip or changes to the section officials, pm me or email president@jampot.com What time should I get there?