G3L conrod big end liner.

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
PFN

G3L conrod big end liner.

Post by PFN »

Hello everybody.
I'm new to this forum, and new to 75 years old 350ccm Matchless motors. I'm rebuilding a few engines, and in the vast amount of documentation, I have been reading, I haven't been able to find the answer to how I remove the bearing outer race in the big end of the conrod. Is it adviceable to heat or not to heat, before attempting to press it out, or is there any other specific method to use.
I'm concerned as not to bend or twist the rod.
I'm danish, so english is obviosly not my first language, so please bear with any crammatical errors or blunders
Cheers
Per😁
bjorn

Re: G3L conrod big end liner.

Post by bjorn »

Hi Per,

As both the liner and conrod are steel, there is no help in heating them. Press the liner out in a suitable press. When fitting a new liner, you can heat the rod to about 200*C, put the liner in the freezer and the liner should then just drop in if you are quick and have them properly lined up.
But beware: The liner may distort slightly when being fitted, which requires the liner (in the rod) to be lapped or honed, using professional machine shop tools.
Unless the liner is badly worn or damaged, you may be able to reuse it together with a new crankpin, roller cage and possibly oversize rollers.

regards
Bjørn
PFN

Re: G3L conrod big end liner.

Post by PFN »

Tak min ven..
Jeg finder på noget.