Dealer Decal Detail

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
20/40

Re: Dealer Decal Detail

Post by 20/40 »

looks good .... I thought it may have been under the Matchless logo ? but Thank you Mike for a quick reply to the question. I will look at this closer when I visit a museum next as I would like my finished project as near correct as possible. Thank you.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I think it was down to individual dealer preference where they placed their decals - do you know who supplied your bike when new?

If you still have the original paint work intact you may be able to see evidence of where any decal may have once been by using 'raked' light, (shone at a very low angle across the surface), I managed to accurately locate the positions of the oil level decals this way.

Good luck and enjoy your restoration

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The dealers seem to put them on front or back guards.
20/40

Post by 20/40 »

Hi Mick, Yes thanks to the Clubs Certificate scheme I have been Lucky enough to Know the Dealers that supplied My Two A.M.C. Mounts. the G3 LS came from a dealer only 10 miles from me, but it has sentimental value as it was my mates who is older than me and we used to go out on it when I was about 12 so a lot of happy memories on that one, then My Model 30 came from Copes in Stafford so this has another connection as it was my mate with the 350 .. his Dad's who was a tech advisor to the club in the 1970s but sadly no longer with us. The Information that comes with these Certificates is a wealth of information if you have that ...daydream interest of how things used to be. I have still to rebuild the Two bikes but as soon as I am on the way there will be a lot of pictures arriving to go on show that is for sure. Yes good tip on looking across the paintwork for original decals I have used similar methods Thank you for all your interest.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You seem to have similar views to me - I aim to restore my G3 to the same condition as when I bought it, (in the early 70's), just looking for a crash bar and the dealer decal now.

Are you aware of these guys? They supply replica dealer decals - you may be luckier than me in finding a match.

http://dealerdecals.co.uk/

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

You seem to have similar views to me - I aim to restore my G3 to the same condition as when I bought it, (in the early 70's), just looking for a crash bar and the dealer decal now.

Are you aware of these guys? They supply replica dealer decals - you may be luckier than me in finding a match.

http://dealerdecals.co.uk/

Regards Mick
There's some names on that decal website that I haven't thought about or heard spoken of in years but were familiar to me when I was begging rides on my dad's sidecar outfit when I was 10 or 12 years old... That was a long time ago!

The dating certificate for my '54 G3/LS just states that it was supplied to a dealer named "Stanley". No other details. Does that ring any bells with any of you?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The original registration may narrow down the area in which the dealer was located.

Regards Mick
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

The original registration may narrow down the area in which the dealer was located.

Regards Mick
Don't have the original registration, unfortunately. I bought it as a garage load of bits. Will need to apply for an age related number when it's finished.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
20/40

Post by 20/40 »

Hello Guys, Yes this dealer is who sorted out my Decals, also is a Library mind of dealers and locations etc, Val is so good at what he does is mind boggling he even Made a batch of Decals for me as he did not have the one I wanted, I had a rough guide and he done the rest. also on my Dating Certificate for the Model 30 it just states "Ridgway" as the dealer, but when I chatted with Val he said it ties in with Copes in Newcastle Staffordshire ... as there were holder's of batches of Bikes in storage until the dealer could fit them into their showroom or garage ....and it all tied up with the Buff logbook as the post office stamps are from around Stafford so I got the ones he has. Another interesting story came out of me chatting to him and looking through his vast directory of dealer decals ....... a Car I have ... which is in bits awaiting a restoration was once a company car for Mike Hailwood and Rod Gould in their Birmingham Honda Dealership on the Tayburn Road, I had met a chap in a car show when I first bought the car and was told Mike Hailwood owned it so I am still looking for a Photograph to turn up with the car at the dealership etc But I also bought a decal of the Hailwood and Gould dealership to go on the car ....... when...... it gets restored ?? so all that came from doing up my Motorbikes strange Paths we all take isn't it. Thank you for the link to the Dealer List it is Handy to look through.
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

So what company car did Mike Hailwood have? Was it a Honda or something more exciting? Cheers. Bruce.