Lucas ammeter

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Merlin

Lucas ammeter

Post by Merlin »

Not being able to obtain an original Lucas ammeter for my 1956 G3/LS I obtained a pattern with fixing .Have now obtained a Lucas part but with no obvious way of fixing help required.

Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

Lucas ammeter

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Stuart,

Not 100% sure about this, but if you peer under the bezel you will see three or four tabs which are part of the bezel. These are long enough to be bent back after insertion into the headlamp and hence grip inside the headlamp shell. I am not 100% sure, because although I have done this on both the G11 and G3, it seems a cheap and nasty way of fixing - certainly not engineering.

Biscuit
Deceased

Lucas ammeter

Post by Biscuit »

Should have looked first!. The manual says this is the way to secure the ammeter, although they call them 'tags'. There used to be a thin rubber ring that sat between the ammeter and the headlamp, I have used very thin 'O' rings, if you dont have this ring the ammeter moves slightly with vibration and rust sets in on the headlamp. When you fit the ammeter make sure you mantain a good downward pressure as you bend the tags as the initial cranked part of the tag holds the bezel onto the body. Hope this helps![:D]. In the dim recesses of my mind I seem to recall ammeter fixings similar to the speedo. The terminal studs were longer and a bracket slipped over these, with insulating bushes.

Merlin

Lucas ammeter

Post by Merlin »

Many thanks Alan I found the tags but thought them a little too crude hence the question[:I][:D]

Chemists do it with test tubes
RogerNorman

Lucas ammeter

Post by RogerNorman »

Alan is correct with the tangs but be careful. The tangs also lock on to the ammeter body. The body has a series of small slots in the body that the bezel fits over to sit on to the top of the body. You need to then turn the bezel on the body to lock the bezel to the body. There are also some smaller tangs that you push hard against the body of the ammeter to hold the bezel tight then the longer tangs turn back as Alan suggests under the metal of the shell. All a bit of a fiddle and not always a success- there's many a broken ammeter around because the tangs have been bent too far or the bezel has been forced off without turning it first.

Tom Wood

Lucas ammeter

Post by Tom Wood »

I should learn to ask questions on this forum! I've been looking at my 56 mod 30 trying to figure out how to put my ammeter in now for weeks. It's so simple now that I read this. I'm going downstairs to put it in now! Thanks