1950 16m I think?

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Steven Letham.

1950 16m I think?

Post by Steven Letham. »

Hi, I promised myself I would never restore another basket case again ! absoutley no way, that is untill a so called friend offerd me one and swore blind it was all there. Well it's not ( and neither must I be), it now lies in six boxes in the middle of my garage. What I would like to know is, never having owned an AJS, is this model one that I would enjoy riding? only having restored in the past , to be disapointed by performance, the thought of a rigid back end sounds painful. Your advice would be much appreciated.
Steven

lawrence

1950 16m I think?

Post by lawrence »

On performance you will be disappointed unless you are used to riding Honda step-thrus. On everything else they are lovely. It is the only bike I have been on that people regularly wave at you as you pass. Lovely lovely. My brother sold his after we had rebuilt it and there is not a week goes by that I don't think 'I wish I'd bought his model 16' ;o(

Lawrence [}:)]
Steven Letham.

1950 16m I think?

Post by Steven Letham. »

Thanks for your advice Lawrence, I'm slowly warming to the task ahead.

Merlin

1950 16m I think?

Post by Merlin »

I have to say when I go out on my G3L even the head down bum up brigade are impressed and give me a wave as they rush by.
Cheers
Stuart[:D]

Chemists do it with test tubes
Colin F

1950 16m I think?

Post by Colin F »

First get yourself a parts list and a workshop manual. These can either be bought from Bruce Main Smith or join the egroup on Yahoo and get free download from the technical site.
As long as you have most of the tinware, mudguards, oil tank and tool boxes nearly everything else is obtainable.
Join your local section as there is a wealth of experience, advice and often parts there.
Any problems, queries or requests for advice, search the archives here or the egroup, if they don't help post your question and I'm sure someone will come back with the answer[:)]
But most of all...... enjoy the experience![:D]