G3LS 1961 Timing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Ixy

G3LS 1961 Timing

Post by Ixy »

I have a G3LS 1961 converted to 12 volts. I have fitted a Boyer ignition to it and got it running OK, been for a run a couple of times but it's not quite going as good as it should I think. A few pops and bangs and spits!
How do I check the timing using a strobe lamp, might be a daft question but where do I shine it?
Also, I'm using a NGK B7ES with a gap of 0.021" , is this right?
Also, while I'm at it, should the needle in the Amal 376 carb be a 210?
Any answers greatly appreciated.
Dave

G3LS 1961 Timing

Post by Dave »

Colin,
The book says 220 main jet and for coil ignition a 25 thou gap. But I don't think either of these will give you the problem you appear to have.
With regard to a strobe, as there are no timing marks to highlight then it wont be much use. Normal setting by measurement of the piston before TDC works fine. The symptoms you describe would normally indicate retarded ignition so it's worth rechecking the timing and if this is OK then there may be a fault with the ignition system. I'm not familiar with Boyer systems so can't comment on what may be wrong.

Ixy

G3LS 1961 Timing

Post by Ixy »

OK thanks David, I will try 25 thou gap and redo timing. When I fitted the Boyer I found the position by trial and error really, so it could be miles out. I'll follow the instructions of putting welding rod down plug hole, etc, etc.