WDG3 teledraulic problem

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
FerG3

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by FerG3 »

I have a 1943/44 WDG3 with "frozen" front forks. I removed wheel, m'guard stays, etc and soon found that the right leg was stuck (the one without the brake drum bolt). It would not budge so undid the pinch bolt on the headlamp lower stay and the large hex nut on the handlebar mount, and the unit dropped down, but still with the chromed tube jammed solid in the alloy slider. I undid the damper rod top and bottom, and took off the chrome extension, spring and leather washers. Now I have the unit off the bike with the damper rod still held loose but captive in the assembly and the alloy slider (fork end) seemingly held fast onto the chromed outer tube that I assume should freely slide within it. There was not much oil in the leg and the chrome tube has a rust ring just above the oil seal, so suspect it is rusted in. I have set the leg upright and have left plus gas hopefully soaking past the oil seal. Before I start getting serious trying to free this assembly up, is there anything else that needs undoing? I have looked through the instruction book and diagrams and at this stage, it seems like the outer tube should just slide out of the alloy slider although there is a plastic bush that may keep things tight. The design changed post-war, I know, so I have ensured that I have been looking at the WD diagrams and instructions. Advice? Some heat on the alloy leg helpful?

Fergus
Biscuit
Deceased

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by Biscuit »

Morning John,

As the bottom bush on the inner tube is free to rotate both on the tube and within the slider, it would seem that your problem is with the plastics (possibly bakelite on your bike) bush. I quote from FW Neill's book - "Where stiff fork motion or jamming of forks is found and the machine has not received damage resulting in a bent tube, stiffness is due to tight plastic bushes which sometimes swell or expand. To rectify, dismantle the fork legs and ease the internal diameter of the bushes to give free movement, oil and replace"

I like the way all these books say 'Dismantle' apparently ignoring all the problems usually encounted. I would leave the assembly soaking in the Plus Gas for a couple of days, then hold the leg in the vice, with suitable protection, and try twisting the slider, if nothing happens you will have to resort to thumping, never a good idea with these assemblies, but when the devil drives..... Clamp a suitable sized steel rod to the slider via the wheel spindle clamps, and start GENTLE tapping on the rod, alternatively either side of the slider. Note - the steel the steel rod must be the same size as the wheel spindle other wise you stand a good chance of bell mouthing the slider or cap.

FerG3

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by FerG3 »

Thanks, Alan - that confirms where I think I have got to! Its always useful to make sure there is not some forgotten fixing before brute strength gets applied. Yes, I found the same comment about the bakelite bush, but I think the culprit is rust as it seems totally solid and my tentative first attempts to twist the parts free had no affect at all. In the dismantle, I found one of the wheel clamps was wrong and this must have induced twist (I bought the bike a year ago and found various things wrong, but wrongly assumed the fork assembly was OK) - likely this is what induced the lock-up. The m'guard brace holes were oval and chewed with the stress - count myself lucky not to have met disaster. Whoever put this together wants shooting - I know, I need shooting too for missing it, but assumed that gross bodges like this were unlikely!

Fergus
FerG3

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by FerG3 »

I have been in touch with AMC Spares on this one as they and I are heading for the Kempton 'jumble this weekend. After several days in plus-Gas, the fork inner tube remains jammed in the slider, although only moderate force applied to date. Steven at AMC says they had a customer with the same problem and it took a LOT of force and heat to get the tube free and the culprit seemed to be merely a cracked bakelite bush. AMC have a modern nylon type plastic one which seems like a good idea - once I have got the thing freed. Looks like I am going to need a new inner tube, though, at £58 or £110 the pair! I am hoping Steven will have some advice regards shifting the tube - Alan's way seems good and I have thought of putting a stout piece of tubing longer than the inner tube over the latter to engage with the top of the slider, then driving the top of this drift to force the slider back. This plus heat. Any other tips on this tedious problem would be appreciated! I presume there is no extractor to assist?

Fergus
tibsy

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by tibsy »

i had the same problem with a 53 18s (posted a thread here somewhere about it), finally sorted it using basically the same method as alan suggests,- a good soaking in wd40-stanchion clamped in pipe vice-suitable bar clamped in slider-heated slider around top part with black and decker heat gun- then jerked like hell , it took dozens of attempts over a couple of days using ever increasing heat and brute force before it let go. be careful when it finally does free as you may find yourself sitting on your backside.
tom
Biscuit
Deceased

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by Biscuit »

John, interesting premise, but when you have the tube over the leg, with a free end to wallop, how do you hold the leg?.

Do your sliders have a filling/level plug somewhere near the top, without a drain plug at the bottom?.

FerG3

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by FerG3 »

Tom - many thanks for the encouragement - and Alan, on reflection, I think your method is better. Come to think of it, don't believe mine WOULD work - I was going to try a pile driver technique, but I think Newtons second law is against me!! The level plug is indeed near the top - its an early WD version. AMC Spares can sort me parts and possible even a replacement 2/hand leg - but don't really want to go that far - I am taking the assembly to Kempton so we can have a conflab. but you have given me hope! When wrestling with lumps of iron, its so good to know that someone has done it before and you are not attempting the impossible!

Fergus
stubbs

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by stubbs »

John - I had the same problem which in the end was due to the bakelite bush expanding - I soaked the interrnals with plus gas for a week and then directed heat up the leg with a black and decker heat gun from time to time yanking the stanchion up and down. It came free in a comapartively short time - In addition the stanchion was slightly bent.
I used a replacement bronze bush as supplied by Russel motors which obviates the problem of a replacement bush swelling

Biscuit
Deceased

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by Biscuit »

Just a thought John, if the leg has'nt seized in the fully compressed position, why not try persuading the leg to go in the slider to free it initially.

Dave

WDG3 teledraulic problem

Post by Dave »

John,
I have a set of WD forks in my garage and the sliders were stuck on those too. Like Alan suggests I tried a wack with a rubber mallet and the slider freed fairly easily.
Also, I have had a similar problem with my '59 G3 forks, where the bush had swollen and seized. I removed the offending fork leg and clamped the tube in a Workmate. Then with a block of wood on the slider mudguard fixing point a few sharp blows with a hammer released it. The bush was still stuck on the tube but at least it was out of the slider OK.
I'm not sure if the same would assist on the WD forks but it's worth a go.
PS. If you need more forks, mine are for sale!