Monobloc jets and oil

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
SPRIDDLER

Monobloc jets and oil

Post by SPRIDDLER »

That's a relief Lawrence.
I figured that if the nut could fall off and disappear then I must be able to refit a new one. How naive!
From the Jampot spares list I assume the stud nut is three eighths and 26 tpi but I'm not sure. Self-locking (Nyloc) nuts might be better.
I intend to do it up so tight it'll never come loose again!
It's going to be a boring hour then, turning the nut a fraction at a time. I guess people were happy to spend more time maintaining their transport fifty years ago - or couldn't afford not to do these jobs themselves. It is fun - isn't it?
Neville

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Biscuit
Deceased

Monobloc jets and oil

Post by Biscuit »

Tightening up a 1/32 at a time? Masochists are we?. Put a nut half on the offside of the stud, screw in a bolt or old stud and lock, fiddle the nut one thread or so on the nearside end, hold the nut with a spanner and turn the offside end, when the nut is on far enough, remove the locking bolt and tighten by means of the offside nut. This works well providing the offside nut is free on the thread and the stud is not difficult to turn due to the inevitable frame misalignment. If the latter the stud will need be turned via mole wrench or spanner, if a bolt is used to lock the nut.

lawrence

Monobloc jets and oil

Post by lawrence »

That has made me feel much better Alan ;o(

Seriously thanks for the tip. I will definitely use it. The threads on my stud were very damaged and stiff but I reckon it would have worked. Like all the best tips, simple. As I said earlier, we are lucky to have experts like you and Colin here.

Thanks again.

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Monobloc jets and oil

Post by Biscuit »

Not expert, Lawrence, just experience.

SPRIDDLER

Monobloc jets and oil

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Alan, that is the mutt's nuts - a 'wicked' idea!
I stood in my workshop last night glaring at the site of the missing nut for about 20 minutes trying to raise the enthusiasm to start stripping bits off, so that I could get a spanner to the nuts. (Decided to watch Rooney score 3 instead) In future I'll just sleep on it, it seems to have provided the solution in this case.
Brilliant!
Neville

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'