Replacement Spoke Nipples

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chrisbwy

Post by chrisbwy »

Hello again,

The nice chaps over at Central Wheel Components have just told me that my 1958 16MS front spokes are an unusual diameter.

The rear spokes being 10 gauge 124thou, which they can supply replacement nipples for ok.

However the front are 11 gauge 114thou, which they can't supply.

1. has anybody else had this situation and found a supplier for 11 gauge nipples?

2. Central Wheel have offered to make up a new set of spokes and nipples for the front wheel using 10 gauge spokes, to match the rear, but I was hoping to re-use the original spokes. Any thoughts?

Regards

Chris Hargreaves
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Chris, if you check the parts list for your bike you will discover front & rear wheel spokes & nipples have different pt. no's. No sizes given, but that does suggest your bike is correct with the different sizes.
chrisbwy

Post by chrisbwy »

Hi Rob, Yes, thanks, I did spot that and knowing the history of the bike suggests the spokes are correct.

I just hope somebody else out there has come across this problem and found a supplier :-)

Chris
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Many years ago I had this problem and found a supplier in the Midlands who had 11G spoke nipples in stock. They are now out of business but I would suggest that you try phoning around all the wheel builders who advertise in the various magazines. This is how I found my source! Have you tried our local wheel builder , Paul Jackson, at Outlane?
Bob.
chrisbwy

Post by chrisbwy »

zwarts - maybe you could give me contact details for Bob at Outlane?

Many thanks

Chris
DWS

Post by DWS »

Paul Jackson can be contacted on 01422 378100. Just happend to have his number to hand
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register