How to remove fork stanchions from sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
bjork

Re: How to remove fork stanchions from sliders

Post by bjork »

Triumph-Legend wrote:
cbranni wrote:Offcut of steel around 2"sq 3/8 thick,drill two holes to bolt the offcut to the bottom of the leg, in the centre of these holes drill n tap a hole to suit a 3/8 BSF length of studding. bolt the plate on, screw in the stud and push the stantion out with the seal, takes two minutes.
I must be a bit dense. The idea sounds fine, pushing against the damper, this then pushes against the fork leg and the top bush, forcing the top bush and oil seal out of the slider. The question that I have is, how is the thread at the bottom of the damper rod not damaged?
Am I missing something in my understanding of the action of this method of dismantling the fork leg? If so, please explain.
If you use a 3/8" rod then that is larger than the threaded hole so that thread is safe. Best make sure the end of the rod is square etc though and not a ragged mess ;) It worked a treat even though all I had was a coarser thread rod. Obviously a fine thread is better if the seal is reluctant to move. The best thing with this method is the controlled effort applied to shifting the seal. No having to tug violently etc and heat isn't likely to be needed either.

Cleaned my sliders today and noticed that the hole in the bottom is larger than I remembered! So, if you are concerned about damaging the damper thread you could use a much larger diameter rod. Or you could use 3/8 and fit a cap over the end to contact the damper base. Jobs a good 'un!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
bjork

Post by bjork »

Mick D wrote:Hi

This is a very elegant solution but in my case the much reported 'grip the stanchion in a vice and vigorously extend the slider' succeeded after about three extensions per side, (don't forget to drain the leg and leave off the drain plug).

I'd advise trying the easy way first - then if you don't succeed fabricate a pusher.

Regards Mick
The book method was the only way I had ever done this before, I may have been unlucky or just a bit of a weed in that it took a lot more than three 'vigorous' tugs and heat on every other set I did. (four or five bikes if memory is correct) It certainly took longer to strip each individual leg that way than it took to make this tool and use it on both legs!
I'm a convert anyway! :)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Steve, Thanks for your reply, pretty much as I thought. Using as large a diameter as possible piece of studding to avoid damage to the damper rod thread makes good sense.