How to remove fork stanchions from sliders

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
abs

Post by abs »

I have removed the chrome seal retainers, the damper bolt on the bottom and just about every other fixing.Tugging on the leg just seems to give the rebound springs a good workout. The seals are just pressed in I hope. Any advise please before I dig out the cutting torch.
wilko

Post by wilko »

They're always a pig to dismantle .Lots of heat and tugging with insulating gloves, then the bits will fly across the room!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

So will any boiling oil or water left inside. Wrap a towel aroung the top of the slider to catch everything. Cheers, Don.
abs

Post by abs »

Thanks for that guys, it sounds like fun.
tr7dan

Post by tr7dan »

quote:
I have removed the chrome seal retainers, the damper bolt on the bottom and just about every other fixing.Tugging on the leg just seems to give the rebound springs a good workout. The seals are just pressed in I hope. Any advise please before I dig out the cutting torch.

Make up a simple extractor tool using a couple of 1 mtr lengths of 10mm studding and nuts which you can get from b&q etc. Nice controlled dis-assembly plus, the satisfaction from making up a tool and then using it successfully is better than sex....

.... well, almost !

Dan
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

?
What was the word ? ? ? .
Motorcycling is the BEST thing for a
MATURE MAN ! .
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters .
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb
bakkenca

Post by bakkenca »

I just removed the seals on my 1958 teladrolics yesterday using a method I found on line. I slide the lower triple clamp on the fork tube clamped the fork tube in my vice then reattached the upper triple clamp. Next i placed a hydraulic jack between the two clamps butted up against the fork tube. I extended the jack until the inner spring compressed then gave it two more pumps just for meanness. Next i put a piece of hardwood against the lower triple next to the jack an smacked it smartly with a hammer. The seal gave way after a couple of smacks. then I took the jack out and pulled down sharply as it instructs in the manual (About 20 times) and the seal popped out.
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

If you search the site, there are a couple of topics / articles which describe "home made" tools which can be used, I can't remember the reference, it was some time ago I did it. The tool which the club sells (which needs to be used in conjunction with a fork puller), works well and I even managed to make an easy adaption with mountaineering tape to tension my jampots for removal of the circlip. All the tools essentially allow you to "crank" the stanchion out against the inner spring which makes removal by "hand" an absolute pig.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Offcut of steel around 2"sq 3/8 thick,drill two holes to bolt the offcut to the bottom of the leg, in the centre of these holes drill n tap a hole to suit a 3/8 BSF length of studding. bolt the plate on, screw in the stud and push the stantion out with the seal, takes two minutes.
only dead fish go with the flow
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Colin,
Do you use the cap studs 01073 to attach the offcut plate, and of what length does the studding need to be? I was wondering if an old gearbox top fixing bolt 022509 would be long enough, if the threaded section was increased.
I have a 3/8" BSC tap to make the thread in the plate.
Thanks for the tip, and best regards.Edited by - Malleon on 15 Oct 2012 11:42:11 AM