Fork Stanchions

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
DavidHW

Fork Stanchions

Post by DavidHW »

Hi - I was attempting to improve the handling on my 1956 AJS model 16 last weekend and took apart the front end to find a real mess in terms of the forks and steering. I have fixed most of the problems, but the fork stanchions are beyond repair (they look like they've experienced many Siberian winters). Does anyone know where I can get a new set? They are 1 1/4" part no. 022823 and I've tried all the most obvious places. Many thanks for your help.
g80csp11

Re: Fork Stanchions

Post by g80csp11 »

if you can get new ones , thee guys re chrome and grind better than new
http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/

Conventional (pair) £175.00 if you strip then down or £275.00 for then to strip
DavidHW

Post by DavidHW »

Yes, that's definitely my fall back as I've used them several times before and they're great. They do take a few weeks though and I was thinking about getting it back on the road for the weekend. I think that may be wishful thinking.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

AMC Classic Spares are listing them - have you given Steve a call?

Regards Mick
DavidHW

Post by DavidHW »

Yep AMC don't have them either - doesn't look like I'll be out on it this weekend.
DavidHW

Post by DavidHW »

Finally got it back on the road. Cold knee weather, but handling now ok. I even had time and opportunity to give the front mudguard some fresh paint. Might try and make it oil tight now, although from reading other posts on the site, that might not work.
DavidHW

Post by DavidHW »

After the front end rebuild, the bike's handling really nicely and every time the sun's out I've been taking advantage of it. I did put on some modern avons as well. I have several bikes, but this one's now always my first choice for a trip down the lanes of Cambridgeshire and one where I always come back with a big grin.