the g5 again

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Mark Chesterman.

the g5 again

Post by Mark Chesterman. »

i still cant get it going, not much luck with the timing as i have no center stand, is there any one out there with a center stand thats cheap , just lost my job[:(]
and can any tell me if borrini alloy rims are standard on g5s.... help mark[:)]

Mark Chesterman.

the g5 again

borrani rims sorry[;)]

lawrence

the g5 again

Post by lawrence »

Doubt if they are standard but they are almost certainly going to be an improvement [:)]

Lawrence
Tolly

the g5 again

Post by Tolly »

Try lifting the bike on some sturdy blocks, that should mimick a centre stand and you'll be able to regulate the height to enable you to turn the rear wheel. The timing is quite easy to set up. Good luck.[:p]

Mike

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
silverarrow

the g5 again

Post by silverarrow »

You could try www.amcclassicspares.com for a used centre stand. They are often missing on lightweights i think because they fail often and if removed can be a real puzzle to put back on.

If you have the manual and some suitable blocks to hold the bike staedy with the rear wheel airbourne, timing should not be to much of a problem.

If still in trouble can you get along to a section meeting where it is likely you would get local help, perhaps from somone with the same or similar model.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
Ian5913

the g5 again

Post by Ian5913 »

Borrani Rims were never standard, but if they are on the original hubs and are laced up proparly should be okay.

Starting should be no big issue either, check the basics E:G insure a full charge is in the battery. set the spark to occur 24 degrees or 3/16th " at full advance ( The set procedure is a spark is needed a 1/4" before TDC on the compresion stroke ) This is set by using a length of coat hanger type wire with a mark for TDC marked on it against a point on the spark plug hole and then a second mark 1/4" above it (on the wire )move the piston back and down by turning the back wheel in gear (As advised) to get to the desired points to line up before TDC. The points gap should be checked and the spark confirmed. If all else is set & working and you have fuel & a spark ignition should occur.
Good luck

Ian

Mark Chesterman.

the g5 again

cheers lads lets hope i get it going this time.....
mark