starting my g5

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Mark Chesterman.

starting my g5

Post by Mark Chesterman. »

i am trying to start my g5, but i am having lots of trouble...the barrels are getting petrol and its sparking...the problem is its not firing..except every now an again it gose bang , probley because there is so much petrol in the barrel...(no silencer [:I]) is this the problem or is it the timing....i am having so much trouble with this bike, i feel like giving up and floging it its got nice italian alloy rims...please help i dont want to sell it i will be the first to ride it in 10 years if it ever go's [:)]

Tolly

starting my g5

Post by Tolly »

Hi Mark.

You may find its the mag thats giving you trouble, if it hasn't been run for many years I would have that off and check out at one of the firms that advertise in Old Bike Mart. Also try fitting the pipe and silencers before you start it, they like a bit of back pressure.[:D]

Regards Mike

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Mark Chesterman.

starting my g5

its got a new mag, ill try it when i get the silencer.. cheers for your help, Mike...if you have any other ideas what it might be give us a shout.[:)]
mark.......

Mark Chesterman.

starting my g5

sorry it not got a mag... its got a set of new points and an alternater[:)] its unit constrution...

Colin F

starting my g5

Post by Colin F »

Have you sorted the petrol problems from the previous post? If the mixture is too rich you will find that it often won't fire.
If you are getting a good spark with the plug out and the spark is at the right time it normally points to mixture problems.
Plugs are known to fail under compression, so check with a different plug in?
Mark Chesterman.

starting my g5

the petrol problems are fine i think.. my local garage sells 4**** so i am not sure what you mean by if the mixture is to rich. i am starting to think its the timing, but i cant figure out how to get it right.. and its got a brand new plug..... will it spark at the plug if the timing is out.....thanks for your help colin [:)]

Colin F

starting my g5

Post by Colin F »

To time the engine, get it on the compression stroke, remove the spark plug and engage top gear. Gently push a piece of stiff wire down the plug hole until you feel the top of the piston, move the engine backwards and forwards by turning the back wheel until you can ascertain TDC. Keeping the wire as vertical as you can make a mark on it to register with the seating of the spark plug. Remove the wire and mark another mark 1/4" ABOVE the previous mark. Turn the engine BACKWARDS until this mark is on the register point.
There should be a hole in the contact breaker base plate to allow you to insert a screwdriver to move the bob weights out to the fully advanced postion, the points should now just be opening. If they are not, slacken the two screws holding the plate and move the contact breaker plate until the points are just opening. The contact breaker gap should be set at .012".
silverarrow

starting my g5

Post by silverarrow »

Yes you will still get a spark at the plug however much the timing is out.

A rich mixture is when you get too much petrol as a ratio mixed with air, the function of the carburettor. Usual indication is a sooty plug whereas a correct mixture would show a light brown/grey colour. A whitish colour indicates a weak mixture.

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling
Mark Chesterman.

starting my g5

thanks for your help lads, ill get back soon, hopefully with a runing bike[:)] [:)]....cheers mark....p.s. thats two pints now i have to buy at the next jampot rally..

silverarrow

starting my g5

Post by silverarrow »

......and there will be a pint each for members of the cyber committee at the tins 'n' strings AGM!

Les Smith (silverarrow397)
Keep smiling