1948 Toolbox

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
desmo

1948 Toolbox

Post by desmo »

Hi there.

Can anyone provide a photo showing how the tollbox on rigid framed models (1948 G50) is attached to the frame/rear mudguard stay. Mine has brackets that look very selfmade by a former owner.

Thank you for your help.

Norman
Steve Martin

1948 Toolbox

Post by Steve Martin »

Hi Norman; from Russell Motors I recently obtained a genuine WD toolbox to mudguard stay bracket, for my '46 G3L. It is made of 3/4x1/8" strip, cranked, with curved ends. The rear hole is open at the top to facilitate mudguard removal. The frame fitments consisted of bolts through tubular spacers between the chainstay brackets and the box. I found it a bit of a fiddle holding everything in place while assembling; so I had two threaded spacers made, allowing the spacer to be fitted to the frame brackets with a bolt from below [1/2"x1/4" BSF], and the box to be fitted to the spacers from above. Much easier, if not quite 'original'.
I can send you some pictures if you are willing to send me your e-mail address, via this site's message facility.[Click on my name on the left]
Cheers, Steve.
Edited by - Steve on 31 Oct 2006 9:22:38 PM
desmo

1948 Toolbox

Post by desmo »

One more try:

could someone out there provide me a picture of what the bracket for fixing the toolbox to the mudguard stay looks like.

Fixing to the frame seems to be correct.

Steve I`ve sent you my e-mail address, didn´t reseve any picture..
Would you try again?

No bike round here to just have a quick look..

Thank you for your support.

Steve Martin

1948 Toolbox

Post by Steve Martin »

Sorry Norman, your e-mail address message hasn't appeared. Would you like to try either [or both] of the message options again?

Cheers Steve.