Alloy Mudguards

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Alloy Mudguards

Post by Martin.S »

I want to fit alloy mudguards to my G5 but don't know what to buy. You see so many bikes fitted with guards that are so obviously the wrong radius.
When you see adverts for alloy guards they often quote a diameter but in fact it's just the length between the two ends so if the guard isn't exactly half of a complete circle then it's not the true diameter
I'd like the front mudguard to be a nice close fit to the 18" wheel but getting the right one for the rear - I cant get my head around - Any ideas?.
billbeavis

Re: Alloy Mudguards

Post by billbeavis »

Martin I agree with what you say about having a close fit at the front and what can easily look 'wrong'. Eventually I had to replace my front alloy guard and visited Auto-Cycle (www.auto-cycle.co.uk) with cardboard cut-out and measurements for length and width. What I ended up with as I had to get something, wasn't quite right (stuck up at front) but did the job for a while. Having put up with it I then went to Villiers Services. They do trials stuff so had a selection of guards. I now have a close fitting front guard with a good length on a 19'' wheel. I can't remember where I got the rear guard as it has been on for a long time but had to tweek it to look right and fit to the seat. You will need enough length on the rear one so the number plate sits vertical or almost vertical. Bill
Martin.S

Re: Alloy Mudguards

Post by Martin.S »

Thanks Bill. I did see a page on the web of someone altering the radius on a guard to fit a chopper, by opening out the width of the guard reduces the radius and vice versa but I would like it close to start with or I might muck it up!

Found it :- https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/blog/how ... W3zs9.dpbs