G5 Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rupert123

G5 Gearbox

Post by Rupert123 »

Hi everyone,
Restarted my stalled project engine and gearbox in frame finally sourced a original gear lever, fitted on selects gears ok but gear lever returns
Rather limply suspect spring return spring u\s can this be replaced with gearbox in situ also does any one know where I could obtain substitute rear shocks for a G5 I realize original's are like hens teeth.

Kind regards Martin.
shifter

Re: G5 Gearbox

Post by shifter »

Hello Martin Shocks very hard to get hold of as you say but there is some on the old e bay for sale at the mo, Yes you can work on the gearbox in frame to change the spring (and shaft's 0 rings may as well when the cover is off. Take the kick & gear lever + engine side cover off take the 6 gearbox cover retaining bolts out try not to disturb the inner cover when doing this. Best to get the 2 gaskets for the covers as well just to be safe
shifter
?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Martin

Try contacting NJB Shocks who have an alternative, it is different to the originals but should fit: http://www.njbshocks.co.uk/#contact
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

shifter wrote:Hello Martin Shocks very hard to get hold of as you say but there is some on the old e bay for sale at the mo,
shifter

Reckon they will stay on there as well at that price!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shifter

Post by shifter »

Yes I think your correct I know I wouldn't pay that sort of price but who knows when needs must ?. I know I have and I think a lot of us would have seen one or two parts that have been advertised and sold for daft high money before

shifter
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Mind you. I put a full chain guard for a lightweight on ebay for £75 which I thought was a fair price considering their rarity and it ended up selling for £155
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Not sure that £90 is that expensive when compared with Hagon £270 for a set of heavy weight shocks with out alloy bottom lugs.

Because i have not used the original chain guard on my G5 trail bike conversion i used some Spanish Betor shocks from http://motorcycleshockabsorbers.co.uk

These guys are really helpful and have a range of lengths and designs of shockers

Cheers

Steve