clutch basket fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
silverbob

clutch basket fitting

Post by silverbob »

Hi guys I have a problem fitting clutch basket to main shaft G5 early mainshaft 041701. At the end of the splines close to inner case there is a groove for a round section circlip when removing basket found a normal large spring washer which had been forced onto the shaft, only added to various bodges found along the way . Have replaced main shaft and clutch shock absorber center and new rubbers, but can find no trace of a circlip
which I think allows the sprockets to align properly any assistance would be appreciated. All this started with an oil leak at gear change lever and have found so many bodges from no gaskets to silicone on the two o rings on gear change shaft, alternator 5mill of its seating at an angle causing chewed up coils but it still ran and had lights. Sorry to carry on but it does make me wonder who is rebuilding these bikes :evil:
Ozmadman

Re: clutch basket fitting

Post by Ozmadman »

There is no circlip on that shaft just a nut and washer. The reason someone has put a spring washer on there is that those nuts are prone to loosen so that was probably an attempt to stop that. I would clean it up, us a new flat washer and nut and then put some loctite/thread lock on there before you tighten it
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

The spring washer was the other side of the basket (gearbox side ) a definite groove at the end of spline, only appears on the early shaft
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

You may have the wrong clutch centre for your shaft - this sounds like a bodge to fit the later clutch centre to the early mainshaft.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

silverbob wrote:The spring washer was the other side of the basket (gearbox side ) a definite groove at the end of spline, only appears on the early shaft
Cant see any circlip in the workshop manual though ?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed