alternator wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Nick Bremner.

alternator wiring

Post by Nick Bremner. »

I've got a G5 350 lightweight, on stripping it down I discovered the wires to the alternator are badly chafed and I want to splice in some new wire. This bike has had a 12 volt coversion, what ampage wire should I use to repair the damaged wires?
Kieran Enright.

alternator wiring

Post by Kieran Enright. »

Dear Nick,

you need to allow for the fact that, even if an alternator is rated at, say 108 Watts, that is a nominal figure, under normal running conditions. If you have a nearly flat battery, but get the engine started, and then rev it up a bit as you pull away, you may get a temporary surge well above the nominal rating. For this reason, I'd suggest you go for 28/0.30 cable. This is 28 strands of copper wire, each 0.30mm diameter, with a cross-sectional area of 2 square mm, and is rated at 17.5 Amps.(tinned copper is better if you can get it - much better corrosion resistance).
This will cope with even extreme conditions, and has the benefit that under normal conditions, it's resistance is much lower than the next size down of wire, 14/0.30. the lower the resistance of the cable, the less power they absorb, and the more power is available to charge your battery and make your lights bright!
The other thing to watch for is that, whatever connectors you use, they must be up to the job as well. If you use soldered bullet connectors, and your soldering is not up to scratch, get somebody who can solder to do them for you. If you use crimp connectors, make sure they are meant for 2sq.mm. wire, and use the proper tool to crimp them with. If you use the modern plastic bullet connectors, use the blue ones, not red.

Hope this helps,

Kes Enright

black.five@cwcom.net
Nick Bremner.

alternator wiring

Post by Nick Bremner. »

Thanks Kes, message sent to your EMail address. Nick