Idea for adding 12v LED indicators to a 6v system

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
SPRIDDLER

Re: Idea for adding 12v LED indicators to a 6v system

Post by SPRIDDLER »

pev999 wrote:Cheap shots and sarcasm aside -
Sincere apologies for any offence. Couldn't resist a bit o' virtual bar room banter. (But at least you liked the price :beer: )
I'll get me coat.......
o.gif
Remarkable price. Might be worth buying just to use the bare LED light components.

I see they also offer resistors to slow the flash rate down if using a flasher unit for filament bulbs.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
pev999

Post by pev999 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
pev999 wrote:Cheap shots and sarcasm aside -
Sincere apologies for any offence. Couldn't resist a bit o' virtual bar room banter. (But at least you liked the price :beer: )
I'll get me coat.......
o.gif
No worries - just a bit sensitive as a newbie :)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I fitted Paul Goff's indicator lamps and thought they looked smart in chrome (which has stood up well). The bulb housings didn't take too well to me dropping the Matchless twice and I had to "re-manufacture" some.

I am now using the 6v LEDs and flasher unit from dynamo regulators. Their flasher units work with either tungsten, LED or a mix (in fact I currently have two tungsten bulbs at the rear as I need to re-order LEDs). Dynamoregultors LED indicators seem to be less directional and brighter. I'm running the QH headlight again (Paul Goff again) as the LED one (dynamoregulators) wasn't a great beam pattern (and I seemed to get less depth perception). LED pilot and stop/tail (latter a very old Paul Goff one that's still working fine).

70 odd mile trip to Bishop Auckland and back last week, headlight on, and battery still charged. The flashers aren't on for that long.

Wise to give it some thought. It's an investment that is wasted if you go one way and then want to swap back!

I now realise that I should've snipped the wire on the A Reg II and gone 12 volt. I still do quite a few miles, admittedly not usually in the dark, and the argument that bulbs (or LEDs) are more readily and cheaply available at 12 volt is coming home to me. I carry spares but....................

Johnny B

PS And I didn't fit an idiot light or squeaker and should've as anybody following me on runs will notice I don't always remember to turn off the indicator. This isn't a joke if you are indicating left and someone believes you and I'll be adding a squeaker on.