stoplight switch

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
silverbob

stoplight switch

Post by silverbob »

Hi guys have just purchased a replica Wipac stoplight switch for my 1960 G5 but am unable to work out how to fit it. My present switch is taped up with insulating tape the spring wrapped around the circlip where brake rod goes into foot lever. and the switch is mounted on a rod that goes into pillion footrest, all a bit heath robinson. Hence purchase of new switch. Only had bike couple months and its great to ride. Apart from oil leaks wrong parts fitted bad wiring etc, all of which will be sorted. This is my first of many posts, also my first amc bike though I have been riding and repairing/building bikes for many years. My aim is to get this to as near original as possible. any help would be appreciated Bob
clive

Re: stoplight switch

Post by clive »

Bob if this is one of many posts it would be an idea to join the club because at the moment you are not showing as a member and your posts are having to be moderated before they appear. Checking the membership there is someone with the same name. Is it possible you have changed your sign in from old man bob to silverbob? If so you need to email webmaster@jampot.com to get your membership transferred to the new name. If it's not you why not join the club as you will only get limited access which will be time limited too as a guest. Regards Adverts Editor.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Hi silverbob
United kingdom is close to me, so feel free to come and have a look at my G5. The original brake light switch set up is worth replicating as it looks so much nicer than the bodged up versions
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The original stop light switch fixes to the LH footrest arm(there is a hole in the arm for it ) and the spring goes forwards from the switch and hooks on the curved part of the rear brake lever rod. Sorry, haven't got a picture and that side of the bike is not easy to get at to take one..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Hi clive yes I am the same person joined 5th June this year and registered on line, But when clicking on forum I was not recognized as a member and asked to register which I did with original name. This only lasted a week and again a was not recognized so I tried a new name but to no avail. I am now registering every week to be able to read all of the forum. Thanks for email address will try that next, nice to see someone watching the forum. Bob
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Hi Ozmadman Yes this sounds the same as I have but with a tapped up switch . This cannot be original
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

silverbob wrote:Hi Ozmadman Yes this sounds the same as I have but with a tapped up switch . This cannot be original
Found this picture but it's not that clear and its not mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

Hi thanks for picture been in garage all day and still baffled by stop light switch mounting. The wipac switch has a dog leg bracket with large hole for mounting and my footrest has a bolt fixing hole in the end into which I have a threaded rod about 5cm long with 3 holes at intervals which take a quarter inch bolt which my old switch was bolted to as had no bracket just bolted through switch. Parts book only list a bolt nut and washer for g5 stoplight switch mounting., Bob
silverbob

Post by silverbob »

005.JPG
Hi all Have just worked out how to put a picture on site so here is my stop light switch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The stoplight switch fits to that hole in the footrest arm
Paul
1960 Model 8