Matchless G5/G2 Chain Guard

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Trebor160

Matchless G5/G2 Chain Guard

Post by Trebor160 »

Hi All again - I dont think I chosen the easiest bike to restore as a first timer, although Ive done quite a few classic cars in my time, trying to obtain the simplest of parts is a nightmare....

Can anyone help me locate a top and bottom chain guard. I've trawled everywhere but without any luck.
Thanks, Rob
Trebor160

Matchless G2 / G5 Rear chain guard

Post by Trebor160 »

Hi All again - I dont think I chosen the easiest bike to restore as a first timer, although Ive done quite a few classic cars in my time, trying to obtain the simplest of parts is a nightmare....

Can anyone help me locate a top and bottom chain guard. I've trawled everywhere but without any luck.
Thanks, Rob
Rangy65

Re: Matchless G5/G2 Chain Guard

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Rob pretty rare items. Have you tried Steve Surby at AMC classic spares alternatively try our Dating officer Roy Bellett as he may know where you might find them. I would suggest a PM cos we don't want the rules on advertising breaking.

Another solution would be a G2 CSR chain guard its only the top piece but will fit and look sporty! :rofl:

The next thing is if you can get just the top half of the all enclosed case you can modify it to just a singe - my bike has this and I think looks OK.

Another option is that you could buy a new trails type chain guard from Steve Jones at Progressive Classic Products 07713 106278. I also have one of these to use on the G2 scrambler replica/trail bike that i am planning to build.

Lastly you could get something fabricated or not bother with the guard as its not actually an MOT requirement.

I brought lots of basket cases and boxes of odd S/H parts to get all the bits i needed that were not available new.

Best of luck
Steve
shifter

Post by shifter »

One on the old eBay for £132 Model not stated eBay item number:
?
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi the item on Ebay 253343380302 is NOT repeat NOT a lightweight chain guard please do not buy it as it will disappoint you.

Cheers
Steve
geoffb-63

Re: Matchless G2 / G5 Rear chain guard

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi Rob, like you i have had the same problem and still looking, i know you can buy a sort of CSR type chain guard new, as for fully enclosed, your guess is as good as mine, searched everywhere i could think of but no luck as yet, i think it is a case of waiting until one eventually surfaces, anyway, good luck in your search.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rangy65 wrote:Hi the item on Ebay 253343380302 is NOT repeat NOT a lightweight chain guard please do not buy it as it will disappoint you.

Cheers
Steve
Steve is correct, this is what it should look like. Also, I have a perfectly good chain guard that I have been hanging onto for a while now that will be coming up for sale later on in the year. Here's why I can't sell it now.... It's on my bike and was painted in acrylic paint with petrol proof lacquer over the top.. A while ago I picked up another one originally as a spare (why? don't really know) that was the worst for wear and I renovated that but painted it in the tougher POR 15 paint and now want to put that on the bike therefore making my original one surplus. I was going to keep it but now reading that at least two people are crying out for one I will be willing to let it go. As most will know my bikes live outside under covers in a very cramped position so I won't be able to swap the guards until I get better weather and can uncover them move the AJ away from the wall of the house, turn it around so I can get to the guard so probably won't be for a few months yet at least. To be fair I will put it on ebay and let it go to the highest bidder BUT will post a note on here just before I do this so anyone on here gets the heads up first. Apart from the two pictures of the guard I have posted a picture of it on the bike, ignore the wrongly fitted foot rest, incorrect brake light switch and rear brake lever arm, they have all been corrected now as this picture was a few years back. cheers Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Re: Matchless G2 / G5 Rear chain guard

Post by Ozmadman »

Paul
1960 Model 8
shifter

Post by shifter »

What would be a realistic be price to pay for one then in £s ? as I may be tempted to sell the one I have stored sad but I know, what people are willing to pay will be fired back as an answer
Last edited by shifter on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Well, the rubbishy one on ebay (which isn't a lightweight one anyway) is going for £132 and needs a load of work, will be interesting to see if anyone bids on it. A full lightweight one is very rare and my one can be put on the bike as it is (will check for minor marks when I get if off but it is in good nick overall) Not sure really but I suppose it depends as you say who wants it the most. I would expect no less than about £95 plus postage on top (that's not a lot these days when you consider the cost of other bike parts)and anything up from there. That's where I think I will start the price and bear in mind if I sell on ebay and the person pays by pay pal I will loose approximately 15% on the total cost including the postage costs as well which is a rip off, for the privilege. I will sell mine to the highest bidder which is only fair. The other option for club members is when I am ready to sell it I will put an advert on here and sell it to the person who makes me the highest offer??
Paul
1960 Model 8