g5 con rod

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Cookie666

g5 con rod

Post by Cookie666 »

Hi

Can anyone help please ?

I'm after the bush/ liner that fits on the bigger end of the con rod.
I have a new small end bush, but I am not sure about the opposite end ?
Hope someone can understand my very little knowledge lol. Would this be called a big end bush?

Regards

Matt
clanger9

Re: g5 con rod

Post by clanger9 »

You'll probably need more than just the big end bush: the bush isn't available as a separate part, as normally the whole big end (including shaft and rollers) would be replaced together.
It needs a skilled mechanic to press the thin bush into the big end without damage. It's probably easier/cheaper to get an exchange con-rod complete with big-end bearing. Here is a picture of an exchange 250CSR con rod. You need the 350 part (p/n 044023)
IMG_1839.jpg
Try calling Les at Russell Motors or Alpha Bearings. You'll also need to get a machine shop to align and assemble the crankshaft.
Sorting out the big-end is an expensive business, I'm afraid...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Cookie666

Post by Cookie666 »

the problem is the the big end bearing is all band new but the bush hasn't been replaced this is where my dilemma is, that why I was asking just for the bush ?

Thanks

Again
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

That's strange. Did the new big end not come with a new outer track?
I'd give Alpha Bearings a ring: they should be able to press a new track in for you. I believe it's a tricky job.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Cookie666

Post by Cookie666 »

I've not long had this bike, rode it then decided to strip it & rebuild it & things that other people have done are beginning to unfold like, wiring ect
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Do you actually need to replace the big end?
As said, it's a skilled job replacing the big end assembly (probably one the most demanding/critical jobs on our old engines) as you need some pretty hefty tools and it is also essential to correctly realign the flywheels afterwards. You should also have the big end eye checked for ovality after removing the liner (outer race) of the bearing in the conrod.
You must also have the old crank pin checked as well as you only mentioned the 'bearing' which I take to be just the rollers and their cage.
Do you have a workshop manual and/or the various technical articles on engine rebuilding?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Cookie666

Post by Cookie666 »

Hi

I dont need to replace the big end as its new, just they just havent replaced everything that should have been done,Yer have workshop manuals & someone with work shop with the tools.