Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
shifter

Re: Clutch

Post by shifter »

As you say we will be a bit more east around Gala and Melrose area for our weekend shenanigans, hope you enjoy your trip away
shifter
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

shifter wrote:The enclosed chain guard is hanging up in the workshop as I am not keen on them, I fabricated the one that's on as I like it better along with the brake arm I hope you can agree with the changes Rob. We are going over the boarder and up in the hills of bonny Scotland at the weekend need to get a few riding miles in as we haven't done many lately with other commitment's having to be dealt with
It's your bike now so nothing to do with me, I'm only pulling your leg! I will say that the new chainguard gives a sleeker look and the arm probably a better pull.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Thanks Rob
There is more changes ahead in a nice warm workshop once winter sets in :) but I think I will bin the camera
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

shifter wrote:The enclosed chain guard is hanging up in the workshop as I am not keen on them,
Sell it, most here would tear your arm off for it!!! I like my enclosed chain guard. I have only oiled the chain once in three years and it is still clean! ( and before any comments are made) Since the attached picture I have fitted the footrests on their correct side, fitted the correct stop switch which fits on the footrest arm, fitted to correct rear brake lever, replaced the brake rod and fitted the later, less wobbly main stand
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello Paul
Nice clean looking bike you have there, I was thinking about selling the guard along with other things I have altered/changed on the bike then I thought if I ever sell the bike it would be nice to offer them to the new owner so they can have a choice of what they prefer. But who knows anything can happen
donkey
13/10 I have just been looking around on the old e bay for some parts I need and spotted a Cpl of the enclosed chain guards for sale by hec they are wanting a lot of cash for them. :o
Last edited by shifter on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

shifter wrote:Hello Paul
Nice clean looking bike you have there, I was thinking about selling the guard along with other things I have altered/changed on the bike then I thought if I ever sell the bike it would be nice to offer them to the new owner so they can have a choice of what they prefer. But who knows anything can happen
donkey
All polished up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
shifter

Post by shifter »

What a cracker you have spent quite some time on the bike should be in a showroom on display
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

This was a couple of years back (got the proper white piping seat cover on it now and all the other stuff mentioned in my previous comment has been done) but it still looks as good today, surprising really as this will be its 6th winter OUTSIDE under two decent Oxford covers (it's outside, along with my 1974 Yamaha RD250, 24/7/365 as I have no garage or shed . Another month or so and they will be getting their annual ACF50 treatment (takes me about 2 hours for each bike to get into everywhere) but it's worth it as so far 6 years on and 4 years for the Yam no rust or corrosion has set in. Then the laborious task of cleaning them up begins about Feb/March. I start them and let them warm up every few weeks or so over winter but have to re-ACF50 the exhausts each time. Here's the Yam
Paul
1960 Model 8
shifter

Post by shifter »

That's a cracker as well they are a credit to you,I remember when I had one in the 70s but it just got thrashed and abused as like many of us in times gone by they were our only form of transport for work and play. The last jap bike I had was this 1974 GT380 that I brought back to life then like an idiot sold it a Cpl of years ago.
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yep, worth a few bob now... Mine is a US import hence the slim tank as different colour scheme. It has a rebuilt 350 engine in it at the moment as the original matching numbers 250 engine has a gearbox noise in 5th and 6th despite only having a genuine 8000 miles on it. I was going to take the engine out to have a look but a 350 knackered engine from a US bike the same year as mine appeared on Ebay, couldn't resist so rebuilt that instead!! I may get round to taking the 250 apart (engine is fine it's just the box) at some point but whether it goes back or not is another matter. Either way, it's there as a matching numbers bike if it ever gets sold... win, win either way.. No comparison between the 350 Yam a the 350 AJS.. its on a different planet performance wise but had I need to choose between the two then the AJ would win, cos there's something nice about plodding about on an old Brit bike and it was that which got me back into owning a bike after nearly 40 years on Four wheels
Paul
1960 Model 8