Fitting a main stand

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
pecon

Fitting a main stand

Post by pecon »

I know this has probably been done to death but bear with me a while. I bought what I thought was a 1960 M14 but when the frame was dated it came back as a 60/G5 fitted with a 14CSR engine and CSR front forks. When I bought the bike a main stand came with it but no fittings. When I checked the spares section I found the following.

Bush for centre stand 014626
Spring 014627
Stud for centre stand hinge 014629
Spacer centre stand hinge

Are the above applicable to my bike?, and looking through all the posts I could find there appear to be some other parts which I will need. There is a bracket ( 1 or 2 of these?)with a square hole on one end for the shaft and a round one on the other which from a photo I found seems to hold a shaped bar to which the spring attaches? (Photo attached) .

I have attached some photos of the underside of my bike (No your eyes are not deceiving you that is a socket cut down as a spacer :roll: ) 2 is the bracket I mentioned and the other is a shot of the underside. If anyone can help me to assemble a list of parts necessary to fit the stand I would be most grateful.

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rupert123

Re: Fitting a main stand

Post by Rupert123 »

I have a similar problem i bought a bike in box a 350 it came with a mainstand and nothing else except the spring i did not realize how much was missing as well as that these parts are not available from the places i have searched ,i am after spacers for the foot rests and those odd little brackets with the square holes i think i will have to make them myself once i get some dimensions.
Whilst browsing the forum the other day for solutions to my mainstand problem i came across some excellent photos uploaded by Rangy 65 of the whole assembly made up and stripped down i think below is the link to the photos also i have posted a link to the matchless spare parts list, page 18 has all the stand information, i think as i am a novice myself i think your numbers are wrong lightweight numbers for the stand start 04 ,014 numbers are for a different part altogether. The above information is for a g5
The spares list covers the other lightweight models as well.

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 73#p109548
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

Martin.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Hi Martin

Many thanks for the link to that article, the photos were a great help. One thing that puzzles me is the following "350 has a round bar with squares on the ends, the 250 I think has a square bar". Now I bought mine as a 250 M14 and the dating service comes back with a 60/G5 but both my bars are square.

I am becoming familiar with the problem of locating the correct parts. I contacted AMC Classic Spares with those part numbers and was told that they only apply to heavyweights so the search continues. I was given the name of a company who used to make kits for the lightweight stands so I'll give them a call after the weekend.

At present my bike is complete with engine in place, is it necessary to do a complete strip down with engine removal to fit a stand. Looking at it from below on a ramp it is beginning to look that way but it seems rather excessive.

Peter
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Whilst the workshop manual does state that it is an engine removal job even to just replace the return Spring you can do it easily without, I know as I have done it. Rest the bike against something solid so it won't fall over,( don't use the side stand either!) undo the two engine mounting bolts at the front where the tin part of the under frame mounts to the front frame down tube. Undo the other parts underneath, footrests etc, anything that attaches the lower tin subframe to the engine APART FROM THE REAR MOUNTING where that frame would pivot on I think where that pivot shaft goes through( sorry a bit vague but a long time since I did this). Don't worry about the engine dropping as it is still attached to the top bracket on the top tube under the tank. You could also wrap some rope round the frame and engine if you want to be extra sure. Loosen the nuts at the pivot point and the whole lower tin frame will pivot down with a bit of pulling from the front down tube towards the floor which will give you enough room to sort the stand stuff out. On reassembly you may have to pull the down tube back towards the lower frame to re attach the two front bolts as the frame has a tendency to spring open a bit once that lower frame is detached from the down tube. I did this by wrapping some rope around the forks and round the down tube winding the rope with some wood until the parts lined up. Cheers Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rupert123

Post by Rupert123 »

My 350 has a square bar up front and a round bar at the back i think there is a photo of it in the last view topic in the series i sent you uploaded by Rangy 65 the rear foot rests and rear brake pedal are mounted on it. . I am a complete novice myself i have learned all i know from the people on the forum who have given me some great advice my engine is not even in the frame yet, i can take a guess maybe the subframes are different on the 250 and they have two square bars or somebody has shoved a square peg in a round hole and modified it to work i do not know these bikes can have a real mixture of parts my g5 1960 has a round bar at the back.I would be grateful to hear how you get on with this mainstand kit if it is available.

Martin.
Last edited by Rupert123 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Thanks for the detailed instructions Paul. Luckily I have a ramp so I was able to lock the front wheel in place with the clamp and I used a hoist to lift the rear which gave good access to the underside. If I can get the parts I'll have a go at fitting the stand with the engine in situ.

Martin, Steven in AMC spares gave me the name of Andrew Engineering who used to sell the parts as a kit. I'll let you know how I get on when I get in touch after the weekend.

Peter
Rupert123

Post by Rupert123 »

Hear is some more info you might find helpful.
http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Spe ... _2004..pdf

Martin.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Very useful, thanks Martin
pecon

Post by pecon »

Martin, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but having been in touch with Andrew Engineering it seems that they no longer do a kit for the main stand. They do have some parts such as the spring, rod and spacers but sadly not the brackets necessary to finish the job. On a happier note they did have the elusive front brake anchor I was looking for.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Get any parts you need from Andrew Engineering as they will be closing in the very near future,, maybe the club can buy all their stock??
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed