Never had one

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Never had one

Post by Ozmadman »

ajscomboman wrote:Pleased my handiwork still looks good after all these years. At one time I had a very nice trick piston in it which was a modified 59 650 twin one. 2 up it was recorded at 70 + and still accelerating!!! It was a very nippy trick bike back then but when I sold it it was put back to standard spec with a fresh +20 piston. What it has now I don't know.
It was yours then? do you remember what that colour blue is?? and is it a metallic as original (Mediterranean blue metallic according to RS paints)
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It was my first ever AJS way way back in 1982/3. Back then info was even more limited than it is now. It was restored in a limited way and then went under a full resto in 1999. The colour is as near as dammit to the original which was found under the side panel hinge. Maybe a shade lighter but it's a stunning colour, my 64 CSR is the same colour which is Ford Balliol blue.
shifter

Post by shifter »

I had a little Damascus blue left from a job a long time ago in the workshop, so I mixed a little white in and got a near enough shade to touch up the side panels but over the winter. I will get the ford shade that you used and redo them thanks but Time to stop the tinkering at the mo as the weather was so good today we had a nice run along the coast.
Rob did you notice I shifted the front number plates I prefer this way and the top box comes in handy for a few tools six pack and sarnies
Last edited by shifter on Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Been a few little changes since it left me. Union flags stuck on, finned ring on the exhaust pipe and the front plate.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Ok Thanks point taken there is no doubt you made a good job of the bike and I like the bike whatever and will make it my own, and I hope I get many miles out of it with good maintenance and if it decides to go tits up it will be fixed
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Not being picky and I can appreciate you want to make it your own, nice to see it being enjoyed. I hope you have as much fun with it as I did. They're a really under estimated and under valued little bike, mind you it helps when you get an unmolested one to start with and I was a lucky one. :beer:
Expat

Post by Expat »

It's definitely a good looking bike......whichever way you look at it!
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
shifter

Post by shifter »

Thank you Expat, I think so as well but I may be bias I only got into AMC bikes in late 2014 and slowly getting used to there workings started off with a 1958 model 14 that had been sat in a damp shed for a lot of years got it running and tidied up and sold it, then a Cpl of 16ms, and so on. Being a BSA man all my life I thought a change was due (still have my c11g though)
?
shifter

Post by shifter »

Oh the joys clutch cable snapped today about 35 miles from home but got her back ok the only thing I had in the workshop that resembled the cable was a BSA b40 throttle cable. So filed the clutch arm end nipple to fit the arm fitted the rest of the cable and it works spot on. Champion will have to order one has any kind sole got the part number
shifter
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

shifter wrote:Oh the joys clutch cable snapped today about 35 miles from home but got her back ok the only thing I had in the workshop that resembled the cable was a BSA b40 throttle cable. So filed the clutch arm end nipple to fit the arm fitted the rest of the cable and it works spot on. Champion will have to order one has any kind sole got the part number
shifter
Warranty has expired, sorry! :D I tend to use JJ cables nylon lined universal clutch/brake kit and purchase the AMC pear nipples as well and make my own.

T774 is the club parts service number if you want a ready made one.