G5 Carburation.

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
itma

G5 Carburation.

Post by itma »

re carbs, your cash & choice, I `ve had no experience of either; it seems to me you are running rich, and a slide will not make any difference to that.

crawsue

G5 Carburation.

Post by crawsue »

Yeah,I think I might try the needle in the top notch ---can't get any weaker than that without changing jets?C.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

G5 Carburation.

Post by itma »

I think your problem lies elsewhere
rather than the actual mixture of fuel /air if it was ok before you took it to bits, then it can only be something you have altered/touched ie Float ok?does it drip fuel if you lave it for a while with tap on?start at the last thing you did and work backwards..... persevere!too weak a mixture will burn valve and hole pistons.
with the exhaust off trick look for a blue flame. red = rich; white-ish =weak

crawsue

G5 Carburation.

Post by crawsue »

I took the side plate off the carb'and observed the valve--it seemed to be OK,I also renewed the paper gasket under the jet block.I'm with you ITMA it was OK before and the carb' "feels right" somehow.But the contact breaker is all over the place ,so when it is fixed I can revisit everything . C.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

G5 Carburation.

Post by itma »

those paper washers are very thin, and a too thick one can work havoc; suspect all "pattern" parts. can`t give you dimensions of the right one, but someone surely will.