Rather useless brakes

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Rather useless brakes

Post by Ozmadman »

Don't know but I can't lock my brakes no matter how hard I press in the pedal, might try spriddlers idea when I next have the misfortune of trying to get the back wheel out!!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you got your brakes adjusted up real tight? If they are they will feel hard, with a little more play and leverage movement they will feel softer appear to need less pressure. I prefer this softer touch which seems to make the brakes work better until they lock. But try not to go that far.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote: might try spriddlers idea
Can't claim credit for it.
It was a mod expounded very many years ago by the late Titch Allen, MBE, OBE, ex WW2 despatch rider, Founder of the VMCC in 1946 and classic bike racer (even competing occasionally into his 80's apparently). His first job was with Feridax (vehicle parts and accessories etc.,) with whom he designed a number of the products in their range.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

I'm not very happy with my front brake either, even though it has a longer brake actuating lever than normal. It does give a bit more leverage but also needs more movement to work it - so the brake lever does get pretty close to the handlebar when I pull it on hard.

It did just pass its MOT though. It really does only have to be working as well as it was designed to. If your MOT guy says anything different then try to find one who's a bit more sympathetic. Somebody who should know told me that the reason pre 1960 vehicles no longer need an MOT is because there are fewer and fewer people around who actually know how to test them.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I had two MOTs today one on a Yamaha XT 225 and the other a 1960 350 lightweight and the front brake was better on the lightweight buy a long way, different kettle of fish with the lights :lol:
Roy
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Yes! The Model 8 passed the MOT without a hitch.

Rolling brake test came in at over 70% for each wheel (25% minimum required) so my fears about the brakes were unfounded although they are nowhere as good as a modern bike.

Now for some riding and thanks to everyone on this forum who've advised me for the past 10 months!

Steve S.
clive

Post by clive »

I came up with a quick method of achieving brake improvement along the lines of Spridlers approach of allowing the leading shoe to bite more before the trailing shoe had full effect. I simply fitted a slightly thicker washer under the leading shoe pin. Obviously as things wear down I am going to have to increase the difference between them but it seemed to work.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix