keep calm, more clutch issues

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
red_dog49

keep calm, more clutch issues

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, well, got back from holidays and there was my new numberplate waiting.so push betty on too the drive, many doubting residents secretly watching,deep breath starts 3rd kick,no choke,no decompress, just a couple of tickles.
clutch in 1st engages with a resounding clonk,well not been on a brit bike since 1969 so maybe that's how they were,set off up the road not very clever into second and some dragging. anyway come home as if everything is perfect, push her in the shed and have a miserable warm beer !!!.
remove the chaincase and observe, the clutch plates pull out at an angle and don't return as I would wish, need to help clutch lever return,
strip the newly fitted by others clutch, (I am an lectrician) and find some burring and bumps in the slot where the plates would run,also one of the spring retaining nuts is different and the cups appear a bit battered .I order new nuts and cups. now a lot better,set up as instruction manual, running engine on the stand (chaincase off) now clutch extends ok.
but..........should I have replaced the springs, am I correct in assuming it is these that disengage the clutch.
and the transition into first is nothing like my Honda but is that normal.
regards
Rob.
Rob Harknett

Re: keep calm, more clutch issues

Post by Rob Harknett »

Springs should be OK, BUT, after setting up as per manual consider that a starting point. Springs may differ in length and strength. Pull in the lever and observe plates separate evenly all round, by adjusting the nuts. If the clutch slips you need to tighten all nuts the same, loosen if it drags. Via the gear box oil filler, give a good spray of WD 40 . Not too familiar with 350 lightweight, but the above is what I do with my late prewar to 60's bikes bikes. 20's AJS not so fussy with just one steel, one cork plate and a single central spring. No adjustment really, more like a car clutch.
Janet

Post by Janet »

red_dog49 wrote:clutch in 1st engages with a resounding clonk,well not been on a brit bike since 1969 so maybe that's how they were,
My clutch has a tendency to give a bit of a clunk when first starting off but is normally OK for the rest of the ride, sometimes so easily that I think it hasn't gone in and try to put it in gear again. Generally, I don't have any clunking with the other gears. [/quote]
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes, that's pretty normal, on my two bikes both the lightweight and my RD350 Yam do the same.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Before I discovered my gearbox on the Model 8 was knackered I started her up, pulled in the clutch and put her in first on our drive with the result I launched at incredible speed into my wife's year old Golf. The front brake was useless of course as were my reactions. The only reason I can tell you this is that my wife did not see it and I collided straight into the Golf's alloy rear wheel which was a good stopper. What could have been!

Steve S.
red_dog49

Re: keep calm, UPDATE clutch issues

Post by red_dog49 »

HI, so after adjusting the three nuts a little found that that the move into first was much smoother.although this may also have been just the many times I selected etc. just been for a run up the road and I would describe the clutch as surging (in second) went home,or would an engine man say slip, do I understand now that I have to adjust the centre nut, all help appreciated.
regards Rob.
Janet

Re: keep calm, UPDATE clutch issues

Post by Janet »

red_dog49 wrote:HI, so after adjusting the three nuts a little found that that the move into first was much smoother.although this may also have been just the many times I selected etc. just been for a run up the road and I would describe the clutch as surging (in second) went home,or would an engine man say slip, do I understand now that I have to adjust the centre nut, all help appreciated.
regards Rob.
I don't understand what you mean by surging but I'm sure someone will come along who knows. You shouldn't need to do anything with the centre nut that holds the clutch on. If you do, it wasn't tightened properly. If you mean the screw and locknut in the middle, it may need altering to adjust the pushrod. It wouldn't do any harm anyway but don't forget to undo any adjustment of the cable from the handlebar lever before you start as it can affect the feel of the rod when you're trying to find the 'touching' point.
red_dog49

Re: maybe not clutch issues

Post by red_dog49 »

hi, spent all weekend adjusting the clutch,selects all gears and runs In all on the stand no problem..........but go out on the road and how to describe, loss of drive intermittently but at least every 15 secs for about 1/2-1 sec, does that scenario ring any bells with anyone ,doesn't feel like slipping (happy to be wrong), not accelerating when it happens and its a sudden event, anyone got any idea's other than the skip.
regards
Rob.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I have no idea but the only thing I can think of is that for some reason the chain is running over the sprocket teeth and then drops back in.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It sounds more like an intermittent misfire (cutting out) than clutch/gearbox trouble.
Try fitting a new plug.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'