G5 Carb to cylinder head spacer thickness

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Rob Harknett

Re: G5 Carb to cylinder head spacer thickness

Post by Rob Harknett »

Rob Harknett wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:Bore size can be found on Amal parts lists. One ref. is for 1962/63 AJS mod 16 & 8 carb type 389/68 bore size 1 1/2" That may not be the year of your bike. My 250 lightweights appear to measure same as Janet's at 11/16" thick ( assume that's 3/4" )
Bore size of what? A 389 carb has a bore of 1 1/8" to 1 3/16" depending on what model it has to fit but never ever 1 1/2". The bore of the head is usually the same as the carb but occasionally the head can be larger and the spacer is then tapered to suit.
Well spotted Rob 1 1/2" should read 1 1/8" for the 389/68 carb. I have made a correction. Fractions are difficult to read on some of the old archive scans. When had loan of a huge Amal literature collection, taking three weeks to scan, I never scanned items already in the archives. As I promised the return of the loaned collection asap. I will check my own collection to see if I have the original mid 60's item that is almost unreadable and replace it with a good scan..
Could not find my original Amal copy, but found a scanned copy, not good but it can be read ok. hit the + button for small printed factions.
Here it is... http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Car ... e_Scan.pdf