Is it a G5?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
crawsue

Is it a G5?

Post by crawsue »

I have been re -building a G5 over the winter and it is now just about finished.Now that I have the engine back in it seems very "tight" in the available frame space.The V5 says it is a G5,the engine is definately a 350,is there an easy way to tell the frames apart? It has tele-draulic forks? CR.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
itma

Is it a G5?

Post by itma »

When I was at Plumstead, one of tools they were delighted to show was a very long crow bar used soley to spread the frames of these bikes to get the engines in; so with the teledraulics it probably is a 350
Tolly

Is it a G5?

Post by Tolly »

Having re-built my G5 engine a few years ago I can confirm they are very difficult to fit into the frame. I found the easiest way was to lay the bike on its side and have about 4 pairs of hands and a couple of levers. Once possitioned get all the fixing studs in place before you nip any up, you will probably find a 5/16 dia. rod with a pointed end will help to line up the stud holes. The best of luck.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
crawsue

Is it a G5?

Post by crawsue »

Thanks for the info,the engine actually went in without a fight,but I had to alter the head steady a bit,and I wouldn't like to try and get access to the head ,as I can't see how you can get the rocker cover off in situ.
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?