G5 poor running.

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
crawsue

G5 poor running.

Post by crawsue »

The G5 that I have been re-building over the last few months is now virtually complete,it starts 2nd or 3rd kick ,ticks over nicely,and pulls while accelerating (right word? !!) without any mis-fires.Problem is on an even (cruising) throttle it "hunts".Spark plug is an NGK-6,gap OK,and timing seems fine ,contact gap as specified.I'm not too good on carb. set up,any hints would be appreciated.CR
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Don Madden

G5 poor running.

Post by Don Madden »

"Hunting" at part throttle is a classic symptom of lean mixture at the that throttle setting, but also check that the auto advance unit is in good condition & works smoothly. Wear can cause them to bind in the retarded position as well as a sloppy timing curve.
crawsue

G5 poor running.

Post by crawsue »

Many thanks ,Don, as I said I'm not too good at this bit ,can I adjust the mixture by moving the needle? If so up or down? !!CR
lawrence

G5 poor running.

Post by lawrence »

Move the needle up to richen it. Buy a colortune off eBay and then you know you have the setting right. Otherwise do a check on the spark plug. After a run it should be a nice light tan colour. Sooty black = too rich, white = too lean. Too rich is better than too lean. Just right is best
crawsue

G5 poor running.

Post by crawsue »

Thanks for that,carb' will get a looking at to morrow,as will spark plug ! CR
Michael

G5 poor running.

Post by Michael »

Coulor tune sparking plug is a very good investment.

Did I understand it correctly that "hunting" means kicking back ?

If so, I suggest checking the advance/ retard system or just retard ignition during the starting phase.

Michael
Don Madden

G5 poor running.

Post by Don Madden »

Here in the US "Hunting" is the surging, followed by lagging, feel when on the road at a fixed speed & throttle position, as the carburetor fails to provide the correct mixture. Usually caused by a lean, (weak), mixture. I believe the Brits use the term similarly, but there are variations in our common language.
Cheers, Don.
Eric

G5 poor running.

Post by Eric »

Hi Don we are two nations separated by a common language, but you will be pleased to know that hunting in this case means the same this side of the pond as it does on yours. I guess someone decided that it was as though the engine was searching around for a steady speed so it became known as hunting.
crawsue

G5 poor running.

Post by crawsue »

crawsue

G5 poor running.

Post by crawsue »

Yup! My idea of hunting is exactly that,surging then falling off.I moved the needle up a notch and it seems a lot better,but with the weather and road conditions up here at the w/e I couldn't road test it very well.My pet "guru" has a colour-tune kit which we can try if the situation demands,although getting access to the top of the 'carb when the tank goes back on does not look too easy!CR