Oil filter

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
ajsm18

Oil filter

Post by ajsm18 »

Hello,

Please could someone confirm which of the two oil filters that are listed on the spares site is the correct one for my 1960 Model8? I've checked the 1960 lightweight spares list from Christian's site and it only lists the complete assembly and the numbers listed in the spares scheme don't match.

The club lists two; 042061 & 042061L and I'm not sure which to order.

I have a spare 1960 engine and that has a gauze filter but the club site lists felt so, again, I'm not sure which I need as I haven't pulled mine out yet as I'm still riding it!

Thanks for any help

Mark
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil filter

Post by Rob Harknett »

Have you checked the part numbers for your 1960 engine. Club lists 042061L for 1961 onwards lightweights.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Rob,
Thanks. I did check the 1960 parts list and it doesn't list the filter on it s own. Or I can't see that it does! I didn't realise that the club filter was for '61 onwards either. I must be going blind!
Mark
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi there i have a response from one of our old members Ozmadman - who says you need the long felt filter ending in 042061L plus 042062 and 042063 end caps 042064 spring 042065 washer and 042058 chrome end screw cap.
The gauze filter you have at present is NLA and is a washable one and is a complete unit attached to the chrome scew cap. I would keep that one TBH, mine had that one fitted and the only reason I changed to the felt type was that the thread is a bit buggered and I can't risk stripping the thread in the case using by it. If you choose to use this mod then make sure that the 042062 cap (the one with the hole in it) goes in first (make sure it is not canted otherwise it will block off the oil flow) then the filter then the other cap with the recess then the spring and finally the screw cap with the washer.

Nice to see Oz is still around.

Cheers
Steve
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Rangy,

Thanks for getting some answers from Ozmadman. He was very helpful when I bought my Model 8 and I was sorry to see him leave the club. I'm glad he is still around and that you are in contact with him. Please say "hello" to him from me!

Thanks also for the advice. I think I'll see how I get on with washing out the old filter rather than getting a felt one yet. I imagine that, if the oil is circulating OK when I check with the engine running, I'll be OK.

Thanks, again
Mark
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi, thanks for the comment, I decided to renew as basically I can't keep off the forum especially when I see lightweight questions posted that I can answer. Yes, keep that gauze filter if you can and it's cheaper as you can just wash it out and it is just one bit instead of fiddling around with cup washers springs and the like. If I could find some way of sorting out the thread on mine I would use mine as well. The thread doesn't look too bad but it screws in a few threads then tightens up and I don't want to risk damaging the thread in the casing.
Last edited by Ozmadman on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Paul,
Thanks and welcome back! You can't have too many knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum.
I'll definitely try and clean my gauze and use that, if I can.
Thanks
Mark
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:Hi Paul,
Thanks and welcome back! You can't have too many knowledgeable and helpful people on the forum.
I'll definitely try and clean my gauze and use that, if I can.
Thanks
Mark
Picture of original oil filter and the replacement parts should you go for the felt replacement
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Thanks Paul. I have the upper one so I'll clean it out and re-use it!.
Many thanks
Mark
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajsm18 wrote:Thanks Paul. I have the upper one so I'll clean it out and re-use it!.
Many thanks
Mark
Hi Mark, maybe you can help me actually, when you took out your filter was there a rubber washer right at the bottom of the filter tunnel (you would need a torch to check as if there is it would probably stay there) Only there was on mine and I don't think it should be there as I cant see anything in the manual. I removed it when I fitted the later filter
Paul
1960 Model 8