Front Brake Identification

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
timeveritt

Front Brake Identification

Post by timeveritt »

Hello experts! Attached is a picture (rather lage I'm afraid) of the front brake on my G5. Other G5 owners say that it isn't a G5 brake or torque arm. Apparently a correct G5 arm should only attach to the backplate by one bolt.

Can anyone tell me what I've got?

Tim
P8170345.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Front Brake Identification

Post by Rob Harknett »

This front brake etc was fully debated last week. I do not think you will get any different comments this week.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

None of us are experts.................well I'm not, from what I can see you have a 350 lightweight brake plate, the torque arm does not look like lightweight, curve and length are wrong on the brake lever so that is not lightweight and the aluminium fork slider is also not lightweight.

Is the torque arm fixed by a two bolts/nuts on the fork slider?

Why has it got two fixing holes in the brake plate?

Maybe we need to see more photos of the machine, you could shorten the brake lever to stop the cable wearing against the adjuster but depending on what you know about lightweights if unsure I would pop along to section meeting near you and ask .............."what have I got here" and................"is it safe to ride".
Only my humble opinion.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

cbranni wrote:None of us are experts.................well I'm not, from what I can see you have a 350 lightweight brake plate, the torque arm does not look like lightweight, curve and length are wrong on the brake lever so that is not lightweight and the aluminium fork slider is also not lightweight.

Is the torque arm fixed by a two bolts/nuts on the fork slider?

Why has it got two fixing holes in the brake plate?

Maybe we need to see more photos of the machine, you could shorten the brake lever to stop the cable wearing against the adjuster but depending on what you know about lightweights if unsure I would pop along to section meeting near you and ask .............."what have I got here" and................"is it safe to ride".
Only my humble opinion.

Colin
More or less what you replied to Tim's same post last week, Colin ;)

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17901
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The torque arm looks lightweight to me with an additional bolt drilled through it. Brake plate is definitely L/W as is the ali slider but it looks to have a homemade end cap. The brake arm however is incorrect.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I know Spridds. :headbang: :headbang: ....................making my point maybe, Rob.... if you look the bottom of the slider you can just make out what's left of the counter bore of the front mudguard fixing hole, the rest of it has been cut off, and the cap does look home made.

Mine looks like this.............

only dead fish go with the flow
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

I attach a link to another picture of my bike taken a few years ago when it belonged to another member. The lug on the bottom of the fork slider was definitely there then.

http://www.ajsmatchlesseastsuffolk.co.u ... eight.html

This is one of the first pictures you get if you go into google images for "matchless G5". To be honest, when I was looking at the bike, I didn't notice the fork sliders were different.

I bought the bike a couple of months ago from a dealer in Suffolk.