Wipac condenser no longer available

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
timeveritt

Wipac condenser no longer available

Post by timeveritt »

Hello, newbie here!
I've just bought a G5 (VYJ 414 - does anyone remember it?). I rode it home 50 miles from darkest Suffolk with no problems - apart from those arising from me never having ridden a bike with a r/h gearchange before! Then I put it into the garage and went on holiday. I took it out yesterday and had got about 2 miles and it stopped and wouldn't re-start. Like a plonker I had no tools or spares with me, so I pushed it about a mile to a friend's house (why are they called Lightweight?) from where I picked it up later with a trailer. When I got it home it started, of course. It ran for aout 10 minutes then stopped. Plug out (a bit dirty but ok) but definitely no spark. All electrical connections were tight. Looked at the points and they were stuck wide open - I'm not yet sure why. Anyway I've ordered a new set from the club, as well as a spare plug. I thought I'd also replace the condenser at the same time (and keep the old one as a spare).
The point is though, that the Wipac condenser is no longer aaible. Can anyone recommend a condenser that works correctly with this set up?
Rob Harknett

Re: Wipac condenser no longer available

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the club do not have a condenser, try e bay or Villiers services. The points were open because it was in that position the engine stopped. Or, were they actually stuck, e.g. not opening and shutting when you turned the engine over. I have never had points stick open, but, if yours are sticking open, turn the engine over to check they do shut, if not investigate why not..
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

You could wire in any condenser. Simply mount it somewhere convenient (e.g. by the coil) and extend the lead down to the points.
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

... unless you trust the (wise? I think so) words in
Home >> Articles >> Electrical Technical >> Ignition >> Condenser - NO to remote fitting

Albert
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Thanks. The points were definitely stuck open. The lever on the points just made contact with the cam at the point that they should have been fully open. As the cam moved round the lever lost contact with the cam and they stayed open. When I gave them a little tap they closed and then on turning the engine over I had a spark at the plug. I didn't have time to try starting it though. I'm going to have a proper look at the weekend. In the meantime, it seems a bit silly not to have a small "get me home" set of spares on the bike.
clive

Post by clive »

timeveritt wrote:. In the meantime, it seems a bit silly not to have a small "get me home" set of spares on the bike.
Good idea this means you can guarantee that the problems needing these spares will never occur again,..................... something else will stop you :rofl:

so the best idea is to take only parts that are a real bind to fit beside the road, that way you know you will not have to do it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

aobp11 wrote:... unless you trust the (wise? I think so) words in
Home >> Articles >> Electrical Technical >> Ignition >> Condenser - NO to remote fitting
As you say Albert, remote fitting isn't really recommended for the reasons given.
However, I did run a coil igniton machine for 7 years with a condenser sited in the toolbox rather than in the distributor where it should have been, and it never went wrong. It was there when I bought the beast, and it was still there when I sold it recently after many tens of thousands of miles. (Probably survived because there was another one positioned next to it, waiting to be connected if the operational one failed!)
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Villiersparts has the correct condenser at £8.50 plus postage. Thanks for the advice. On e-bay they seem to range from about £16 to about £25. I changed the points over the weekend and it ran pretty well apart from quite a lot of popping through the exhaust on overrun. I'll close the gap up a little to try to eliminate it.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

timeveritt wrote: it ran pretty well apart from quite a lot of popping through the exhaust on overrun.
Usually caused by a leak on the exaust pipe to head joint, leaky carb flange or worn carb slide.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I've been pleased with the BrightSpark condenser and I reckon it could be fitted to most machines. Fell out of love with the traditional aluminised paper condensors failing.

Johnny B