Gear box noise on Mod8 350 lightweight

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
poacher141257

Gear box noise on Mod8 350 lightweight

Post by poacher141257 »

I have recently replaced the gear indicator shaft with the help of some of our fellow members suggestions on how it is held in as i believed it to be an interference fit but having broken my vice on trying to hold it still so i might drift out the shaft i did not want to damage anything as it was extremely tight i borrowed the use of a friends big boy vice and hey presto it came apart but now i have another problem.?? A ticking sound from within the box whether it is in gear or neutral that picks up with the revs.. I have now used possibly half the remaining stock of gear box gaskets but still even after following the rebuild suggestions from the owners club files and after studying the parts catalogue picture it still makes a ticking sound :cry: :cry: :headbang: can anybody shed any light on my problem as the summer is passing and i have not been out yet for a ride. If anyone can point me to somebody local to lowestoft in suffolk who could show me what i have done wrong or do the job to get me back on the road i would be very great full :beer:
Ozmadman

Re: Gear box noise on Mod8 350 lightweight

Post by Ozmadman »

Done a few boxes but never have had to dismantle that shaft! Presume it only goes back one way or doesn't it matter. My guess would be something amis in the kickstart area, maybe not enough tension on the kickstart spring when assembled meaning that the ratchet is not fully disengaging? or possibly the thin Spring that puts a bit of tension on the gear change pawl has dislodged and the pawl is rattling around.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hmm define 'ticking' issue i would back up Paul's assumption that its the kick start spring lack of tension but thhis makes more of a rrrrrurrr noise.

Try recording the sound and post the file on here like you would a picture - might work hearing is better than discribing!!

Cheers

Steve
poacher141257

Post by poacher141257 »

poacher141257 wrote:I have recently replaced the gear indicator shaft with the help of some of our fellow members suggestions on how it is held in as i believed it to be an interference fit but having broken my vice on trying to hold it still so i might drift out the shaft i did not want to damage anything as it was extremely tight i borrowed the use of a friends big boy vice and hey presto it came apart but now i have another problem.?? A ticking sound from within the box whether it is in gear or neutral that picks up with the revs.. I have now used possibly half the remaining stock of gear box gaskets but still even after following the rebuild suggestions from the owners club files and after studying the parts catalogue picture it still makes a ticking sound :cry: :cry: :headbang: can anybody shed any light on my problem as the summer is passing and i have not been out yet for a ride. If anyone can point me to somebody local to lowestoft in suffolk who could show me what i have done wrong or do the job to get me back on the road i would be very great full :beer:
poacher141257

Post by poacher141257 »

Hi Rangy 65 i am sorry for not making contact earlier but the doctors wanted to play with my body and when i did get time to E-Mail the site seemed to not be working properly. I cant send a recording of the noise my gear box is making as i do not know how.. But also the problem seems more serious than was at first thought.. I decided to go for a short ride to see if that made any difference and boy did it ???? It will not stay in first gear when trying to pull away and greats as if it had a reverse gear i would say it was being put into that while travelling forward also when changing down from third to second the rear wheel locks up until the clutch is pulled in and the leaver is put into neutral.
So what started out as a sympathetic rebuild of a slightly damaged gear box by a previous owner and a curing of several oil leaks from same box has now made the Bike unusable and incapable of holding oil.. I have tried many publications and web sites to try and find a Man or Woman that can rebuild the gear box at a sensible cost but to no avail so can only ask that if any owners know of anyone reasonably close to Lowestoft in Suffolk who could be my Savior i would be most great full..
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello there,if you can't find anyone locally who can help you with the gear box i would be happy to take a look its just the logisics although Lowestoft - Boston isnt too bad - won't be around until after 1st of August though.

Drop me a PM with your contact details as its easier to talk.

Cheers

Steve