Gear box on a Mod8 350cc amc box

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
poacher141257

Gear box on a Mod8 350cc amc box

Post by poacher141257 »

Hi i am having problems with disasembling of the foot change ratchet shaft that is the shaft that holds the gear indicator pointer onto the splined shaft it looks to be an interferance fit but i would be gratefull if somboudy could tell me the best way of seperating the two shafts as my shaft that should hold the pointer is broken so i need to seperate the two shafts but do not want to case more damage doing it many thanks for any help in geting it apart also is it best held together with lock tight ??
SPRIDDLER

Re: Gear box on a Mod8 350cc amc box

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This strip and rebuild article for the AMC 'box may help...

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... _1987).pdf
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun May 29, 2016 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
poacher141257

Post by poacher141257 »

SPRIDDLER wrote:From your other posts I assume (because your Profile is incomplete) you have a Heavyweight 350 (350) not a Lightweight (model 8).

This strip and rebuild article for the AMC 'box may help...

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... _1987).pdf
Many thanks for your reply but i have a lightweight for my sins "I should have said" I tryed to view the article for the Heavyweight but only got an error message ?? anyway hayho if you have any other ideas i would be greatfull to receve them well i'm out in the shed to have another look.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm, it does the same for me too so try this route:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Transmission/AMC/

Then from the list choose AMC_Gearbox_Stripdown_and_Rebuild__(Classic_Mechanics_1987).pdf
poacher141257 wrote:
Many thanks for your reply but i have a lightweight for my sins
I don't know anything about Lightweights (Model 8) but I don't think they have what is generally known as an AMC 'box............ :? Here's an exploded diagram of the 'Lightweight' box. Zoom it to 250% for a clear view of the details. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... manual.jpg

Dismantling and refitting bits of the L/W 'box is on page 26 in the Owners Instruction Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf

There are a couple of L/W gearbox experts on here who will no doubt help you.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun May 29, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I cant remember having any problems stripping my lightweight gearbox. It all fell apart as expected.

Have you got any covers off yet
poacher141257

Post by poacher141257 »

alanengineer wrote:I cant remember having any problems stripping my lightweight gearbox. It all fell apart as expected.

Have you got any covers off yet
Hi Alan i have my gear box in as many parts as needed to fix the problems i am having with the box but having had a look at Spriddler's link to the parts list for the lightweight mod 8 the parts i am having problems with are the plain shaft part no- 042146 that has two small o rings in it and at one end it holds the gear indicator pointer "near your right ankle" and the other end it fits into a splined shaft part no-041332 The problem i am having is geting this joint apart as the shaft that holds the gear pointer is broken of at one of the oil o rings and i have a new one but canot get the old damaged part of the shaft out of the splined shaft.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hello Poacher, you need to use some force. From your description you are trying to remove the broken shaft 042146 from 041332. As previously mentioned this is an interferance fit.

I would suggest holding the broken shaft tightly in a vice and use a punch against the shoulder below the first set of splines after the threads. tap the outer shaft off the inner shaft.

You might want to apply some WD40 or even some heat if its really stuck. It may be easier if you have left the segment ratchet or fork selector ( 041334) on the shaft as you could knock against this instead - bigger target!!

I have photographed the parts that i think you are struggling with in case anyone else has a better way.
Gear change parts.JPG
Cheers

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
poacher141257

Post by poacher141257 »

Rangy65 wrote:Hello Poacher, you need to use some force. From your description you are trying to remove the broken shaft 042146 from 041332. As previously mentioned this is an interferance fit.

I would suggest holding the broken shaft tightly in a vice and use a punch against the shoulder below the first set of splines after the threads. tap the outer shaft off the inner shaft.

You might want to apply some WD40 or even some heat if its really stuck. It may be easier if you have left the segment ratchet or fork selector ( 041334) on the shaft as you could knock against this instead - bigger target!!

I have photographed the parts that i think you are struggling with in case anyone else has a better way.
Gear change parts.JPG
Cheers

Steve
poacher141257

Post by poacher141257 »

Hi Rangy65 thanks for your help with how to split the two parts apart. Alas i tryed all these and only managed two break my vice so i have given the job to an engineer with a Russian wresteler size vice do his best as with your help we have now been able to confirm that it is an interferance fit and we are not going to do more damage being a bit brutal with it.. :beer: