Model 8 seat fixings

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
bigal2rf

Model 8 seat fixings

Post by bigal2rf »

I'm converting my model 8 back to the normal seat having removed an aftermarket single seat.
I bought a newly manufactured seat to replace it..
The two rear fixing bolts seem to match up but the front has two u shaped lugs which apparently fit somewhere to locate the front of the seat securely.
I don't see any male lugs for them to slide onto but do have two large nuts either side of the frame below the rear of the tank.Do they go behind the nuts?
The locating lugs on my new seat aren't far enough apart to fit on these and I'm wondering if ive got the wrong seat or maybe something is missing from the frame?

Alan
Ozmadman

Re: Model 8 seat fixings

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes, exactly right!! undo the nuts a bit and the two stays will ping open a bit to allow the lugs to fit between the stays and the frame. It is quite tight but they should fit
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
bigal2rf

Re: Model 8 seat fixings

Post by bigal2rf »

Ozmadman wrote:Yes, exactly right!! undo the nuts a bit and the two stays will ping open a bit to allow the lugs to fit between the stays and the frame. It is quite tight but they should fit
Thanks for that!
I now see how it fits..Main problem was that someone had fitted a metal plate across the frame tubes to support the single seat at the front...It was painted and looked part of the original design.Ive removed it and now the seat drops properly in to place and the front lugs fit where you mentioned.

You never know how these o

Alanld bikes have been altered!