G5 Petrol Tank Bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
starfield181

G5 Petrol Tank Bolts

Post by starfield181 »

Its pretty obvious my petrol tank is held on by a hotchpot of bolts, washers and bits of rubber but no sleeves. The only fixing that seems to be correct is the T bolt for the rear. This is of course the only tank fixing item listed in the spares book which is stocked by Jampot spares.

I guess I can make up some better fittings but could someone please confirm what thread the front fixing bolts should be. My existing ones don't appear to be cycle or BSF more like UNF which surely cannot be right. I will need to make up longer ones to allow for a decent thickness of rubber and the sleeves

Don't suppose anyone has any pictures of the tank fixings to give me a clue?

Thanks

PeterF
Stuoyb

Re: G5 Petrol Tank Bolts

Post by Stuoyb »

The tank fixing bolts, thick & thin rubbers, washers & spacers are common with the pre '60 heavyweights and freely available from club spares.
See part nos. 0147995/6/7/8/9 as shown in the model specific parts catalogue.
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Stuoyb wrote:See part nos. 0147995/6/7/8/9 as shown in the model specific parts catalogue.
Thank you for that useful steer. A couple of the part numbers are the same as in the G5 spares book but most differ so I would not have found them otherwise. I'll add these to the order I am compiling.

For the sake of anyone else making use of this post, the part numbers should be 014995/6/7/8/9.

The bolts look like cycle thread in which case I have plenty and once I get the rubbers and spacers I can work out the length.

That just leaves the rear top rubber, currently mine consists of what looks like a bit carved from a footrest rubber.

PeterF
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Didn't think there was a top rubber? if you mean on the top frame tube then mine hasn't got one??
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Ozmadman wrote:Didn't think there was a top rubber? if you mean on the top frame tube then mine hasn't got one??
Well according to my reading of the spares book part number 044336 is specified as the top rubber and 14996 (same as front) for the lower rubber. It also mentions a sleeve but mine does not have one of these nor can I see that it really needs it unlike the front where the sleeve stops you screwing the bolt through the bottom of the tank.

Anyway what I have fitted at present is the top 1/2" or so of a footrest rubber so at least the tank is rubber mounted after a fashion front and rear.

It was lucky that i did remove the tank because when I was trying to figure out how the back mounting worked I noticed that someone had put a self tapper through the bottom plate where the T piece fits. I presume this was intended to stop the T piece turning whilst it was being tightened up. Good idea except that the self tapper was far too long actually biting into the base of the tank. If I had used the bike much longer it could well have eaten it's way right through. Needless to say I ground 1/4" of the self tapper to make sure.

Happy days
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

You need the t piece to turn as that is what holds the the rear of the tank down. The t piece goes into the slot and then turns to lock as you tighten the nut. You shouldn't need a self tapper as it only is able to turn so far, it shouldn't be able to go all the way round
Paul
1960 Model 8
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Hmm, interesting. I wonder why he put it in then. Anyway its not doing any harm for now and I will remove it when the tank comes off to fit the new rubbers. Thanks Paul
Janet

Post by Janet »

Stuoyb wrote: freely available from club spares.
:( I had to pay for mine.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:You need the t piece to turn as that is what holds the the rear of the tank down. The t piece goes into the slot and then turns to lock as you tighten the nut. You shouldn't need a self tapper as it only is able to turn so far, it shouldn't be able to go all the way round
I've never turned mine. It's hard enough getting the tank off when the front bolts are out, as it's jammed against the seat at the back.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Must admit I take my seat off if I have to remove the tank. My RD250 has no bolts at all!!! slots in two rubber blocks at the front and it just rests on a rubber block at the rear being held down by the angle of the seat at the front. You can get the tank off in about 3 secs as the seat hinges up so there are no bolts to undo there either
Paul
1960 Model 8