EMG

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
vanjim50

EMG

Post by vanjim50 »

Reading with interest,the thread about left or right ignition switches,it occurs to me that the answer to my question may well solve my own ignition problem.What does EMG mean? on the ignition switch.Regards,Jim
dave16mct

Re: EMG

Post by dave16mct »

EMG means emergency. It was used when your lights had been left on when parked etc. You turned to emg, started up then turned to ignition as soon as possible. It ran your coil straight from the alternator. Only really used on the old 6volt systems and not needed now if you uprate to a decent 12 volt system with a good reg/rec such as the Boyer powerbox. These have a built in capacitor, so you don't even really need a battery except for easy starting.
Dave.
vanjim50

Post by vanjim50 »

Thanks Dave.If I left my bike in the shed for six days,with the switch at EMG,would this drain my 6 volt battery or do I have a short somewhewre?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

vanjim50 wrote:Thanks Dave.If I left my bike in the shed for six days,with the switch at EMG,would this drain my 6 volt battery or do I have a short somewhewre?
Probably if the contact breaker points were closed at the time. Out of interest, does anyone know if the emergency function still works on a 6 volt system fitted with a Paul Goff AReg regulator/rectifier?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed