G5 Oil Leak

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
starfield181

Re: G5 Oil Leak

Post by starfield181 »

Finally got to strip the end cover from the gearbox tonight, kept putting it off but in fact it was pretty straightforward and thank goodness the inner cover stayed in situ.

Tomorrow the rebuild takes place but first I wanted to check a couple of things please:

1. My kickstart shaft had a single O ring which seems to be in good condition. I do have two of the new X ring seals for this shaft (as per a previous recommendation) but I am inclined to leave the O ring in place and use a single X ring outboard of it so that the latter will be forced in to the seal cavity. As the cavity is only as wide as a single X ring, I cannot see any advantage in using two when the O ring will do the same job of compressing the x ring.

2. I had no leaks at all from the gearchange shaft nor the gear indicator shaft and the O rings in place are in good condition and grip their respective shafts firmly. I am inclined not to disturb these seals on the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it principle. Not sure which is the greater risk. Worse case scenario is I have to remove the cover again.

By the way no gasket was present just Wellseal by the look of it. However, I found no evidence of a leak at the joint face. I do have the correct gasket and intend to use it on the rebuild. My normal routine is to use Wellseal on one side of the gasket and grease he other side so it will come off again cleanly. Works on my MZs anyway.

Thanks

PeterF
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Peter

Glad you bit the bullet and got that end cover off, its all experience and will come in handy at some point later no doubt. All of your suggestions sound good to me apart from the fact of only using Wellseal on one side of the gasket only, particularly as these boxes are prone to leaking anyway. Wellseal stays softish so any future dismantling shouldn't be a problem and I would always replace the gasket anyway. Just check the kick start returns ok if you are going to double up (old o ring and new seal) on that kick start seal. Mine was a bit sluggish on the return but soon freed up.. BUT it doesn't leak any more!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Job done, gearbox back together and refilled. So far no signs of leakage from either spindle. As you said with two seals on the k/s spinlde it is a little stiff but should soon bed in. Pushing it back with my foot is a small price to pay if it stops the leak.

The only sligt issue was getting the selector to engage with its ratchet and i found the easy way to sort this was to put the gear lever back on and jiggle it a bit and push gently at the same time. Eventually there was a click and everything slipped into place. I took a couple of pictures to supplement those already kindly provided by Paul. Might help someone else treading this path in future. Don't imagine I have solved all the bikes oil leaks but with luck the main is sorted.

Many thanks for all the help and support.

PeterF
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.