G5 Running Rich

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Expat

Re: G5 Running Rich

Post by Expat »

Ditto, my tickover slows to a stall frequently too, unless I can turn the bars full lock right, when it will speed up!
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Expat wrote:Ditto, my tickover slows to a stall frequently too, unless I can turn the bars full lock right, when it will speed up!
You need a bit more slack in the cable - or possibly re-route the cable. My MOT tester always checks the tickover on both locks - it should not change.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

JimFitz wrote:
Expat wrote: My MOT tester always checks the tickover on both locks - it should not change.
Jim
Blimey, he's fussy!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:
JimFitz wrote:
Expat wrote: My MOT tester always checks the tickover on both locks - it should not change.
Jim
Blimey, he's fussy!!
If you call carrying out all the requirements of the test 'fussy', then I suppose he is.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:If you call carrying out all the requirements of the test 'fussy', then I suppose he is.
Didn't realise that this was part of the test?? seems a bit trivial to me..
Paul
1960 Model 8
Janet

Post by Janet »

It comes under section 2 - steering controls. it is a failure if there is "a significant change in engine speed" when turning the handlebars from lock to lock.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:It comes under section 2 - steering controls. it is a failure if there is "a significant change in engine speed" when turning the handlebars from lock to lock.
ok, thanks.. fortunately mine is ok on that front since the carb refurb
Paul
1960 Model 8
Expat

Post by Expat »

I put the issue with mine down to the roadside repair after the cable let go. It probably does need routing properly.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Nothing to do with G5 but my smaller MZs don't have a tickover adjustment screw at all. The throttle cable is used to set the tickover speed and must be done with the steering straight ahead. Turning the bars to the left slows the tickover almost to stall, to the right and its speeds up a little. This latter is quite useful if you think its going to stall when waiting at the lights. The above procedure is documented in the owners handbook and I must admit I had never considered it as a potential MoT failure. However, I would not describe the speed change as significant so it probably gets by on that basis.

My G5 tickover speed does not vary when turning the bars, though in some ways i wish it did actually behave like the MZ.

Still waiting for some reasonable weather to take the G5 out and see if I have really cured the rich running. We only seem to get a nice day immediately after a frost so there is salt usually damp, still on the road.

PeterF
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

starfield181 wrote:my smaller MZs don't have a tickover adjustment screw at all. The throttle cable is used to set the tickover speed and must be done with the steering straight ahead. Turning the bars to the left slows the tickover almost to stall, to the right and its speeds up a little. The above procedure is documented in the owners handbook and I must admit I had never considered it as a potential MoT failure.
In that case you should be o.k. if it's documented as 'normal' in the owners handbook because the MOT Testers Manual http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_620.htm
states:

The Motorcycle and Side Car Testers Manual

6.2 Seats, Footrests and Transmission
1. Reasons for failure.
a.
(i) A missing riders seat or any seat insecure.
(ii) a missing or insecure footrest

b. a defect which is likely to impede the rotation of the rear wheel

c. a drive chain/belt guard, insecure or fouling another component

d. a drive chain/belt excessively loose, tight or fouling another component

e. a drive chain, sprocket or sprocket carrier worn to excess

f. a malfunction of the throttle control or linkage that does not allow the throttle to operate as intended
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'