Mudguards

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Roderick

Mudguards

Post by Roderick »

How can you recognise 350 cc Lightweight mudguards from 250 cc mudguards & the Heavyweight mudguards of the same period?
Rod
alanengineer

Re: Mudguards

Post by alanengineer »

I thought the lightweights wore the same mudguards 250 and 350 alike.

The rear mudguard has a sharp angle at the front bottom end, hard to explain, but once shown, its obvious.
The front one looks so similar to the heavyweight, even when you have them side by side. I think the brace is slightly different.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure ( well almost, not looked at my lightweights recently ) the 350 and 250 CSR models may differ from the standard 250 as they have different forks. I'm sure at least the rear stay fitting at the fork end differs. Sales cat's may show any differences. CSR models may be alloy or chrome.
ssScott

Post by ssScott »

I am looking for a front mudguard for my G80 like the one below if anyone out these has one? My '59 G80 has the later mudguard with the numberplate on the sides. I'd like to change it for a blade type number plate...

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It sounds like your 59 G80 already has the correct mudguard, but in any case you should put an advert in the wanted section rather than tagging onto someone else's post.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

?? Have you checked that your mudguard is later. The one you have is correct I believe, but you are looking for an earlier wrong one. Check the sales cat. The parts list seems to illustrate the old type part no. 023372. But the pt. no. given for 59 is 025217. I am sure the sales cat is showing the correct new type guard but the parts list is still using old artwork. Any one else any comments to confirm or deny this. Ah.... while typing this some one else has got in first and agrees with me, you are looking for the wrong guard but have the correct one. Perhaps that's what you want???
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

I believe both front & rear mudguards on the 350 Lightweight are different from the 250 lightweight. I've been told so by a knowledgeable source & it would seem to be necessary anyway as the 350 has 18" instead of the 250's 17" wheels. The difference in diameter is larger enough to ensure that either wheel would look wrong with the wrong mudguard. The problem is recognizing the 350 guards. There were a pair of Lightweight mudguards at the last autojumble I attended but the vendor as usual hadn't a clue about anything other than the price he wanted for them. I didn't buy because I didn't want to take the change of ending up with another pair of not very good 250 mudguards.

Rod
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you need to know if 250 & 350 guards differ there's no need to ask anyone. Just check your parts list. Don't forget to check the guard and the fittings. I just checked the 1960 lightweight parts list. Front guard bare same on G2 & G5 but the rear guard differs. Carry your parts book at jumbles.
Roderick

Post by Roderick »

I'm stand corrected about the front mudguard, Rob, & very happy to be corrected about it too because I happen to have a crash damaged one off a 250 which I am sure can be repaired & re-used on the G5.

That leaves just the rear mudguard now. Having its Part No. , though, is not going to help me recognise one at an autojumble, etc. That's my problem.

Rod
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

Im not into lightweights, but have one to put together some day. This is really interesting and now i wonder why they made two different rear mudguards. What is the difference between the two and are they interchangeable